System requirements for Trados - what does "a recent Intel or compatible CPU" really imply?
Thread poster: korenglator
korenglator
South Korea
May 2, 2016

I'm a prospective customer for Trados, and I also happen to be in the market for a new laptop. I've been looking through the system requirements. It says in the FAQ:

"For optimum performance, we recommend 4 GB RAM and a recent Intel or compatible CPU."

Now, in the Intel lineup, there are two current CPU lineups that are targeting home or business users: the Core i-series and the Core m-series. Examples of laptops with the i-series include the Apple MacBook Air and Pro lineup, the Dell Latitude 12" lineup and the ThinkPad X lineup (excluding tablets). Examples of devices with the m-series include the Apple 12" MacBook, the Dell Latitude 11" models and a whole litany of tablets.

The i-series emphasizes performance more than battery life, while the m-series emphasizes battery life over performance. As a result, the i-series tend to benchmark better than the m-series in processing power, while laptops with the m-series have better battery life.

If I aim to become a regular user of Trados, which way should I lean towards? Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 01:58
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
The answer would depend on your working habits May 3, 2016

If you are mainly using the laptop as a stationary PC, i.e. mainly in one location, I would definitely go for performance. If you often are working while on the go, then battery life would probably be the important thing, as you would not like the battery to go out while you were working.

Anyway, I prefer a stationary PC myself, as they still tend to have a higher efficiency than the portable ones. In addition it is easier to upgrade disk space, although that is not as important these days with external disks etc (except if the machine is also used for computer games, of course). The downside is, of course, that you can't take it with you easily.

That said, I saw an office PC the other day that is similar to the mac mini, and which would be easier to take with you (except that it needs an external display).

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Russian
+ ...
Don't worry, either will do May 3, 2016

Essentially, any recent processor would be more than enough. Most statements containing the words "for optimum performance" are only there to protect the software company against ludicrous claims or clueless users. In fact, keeping your operating system clean of malware and garbage (and possibly reinstalling it from scratch every couple of years or so) is a lot more important for the performance of your computer than having a modern CPU.

André Sainderichin  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2014)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Anything goes... May 3, 2016

If you plan using SDL Trados on a Mac, you're going to have to run it under Bootcamp or Parallels. I use Parallels, and it works perfectly well (with one caveat: keyboard shortcuts for the PC don't all work on an Apple keyboard, but that's easily fixed). Also, Trados doesn't support Apple.The nice thing with Parallels is that it just runs in one of the windows. You can still keep all your OSX windows open, and happily switch between all of them, and copy, cut and paste like there's no tomorrow.

Parallels of course absorbs memory and CPU time, so if you're going the Apple route, beware of slower processors. I have an iMac 27, with a dual core processor and 12 GB of memory. One Parallels is loaded, and Trados on top of it, everything chugs along nicely.

Good luck!
André

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Also a goodsized harddisk May 3, 2016

In addition to a mac with a good processor I would also choose a large disk, at least 250 GB SSD disk, perhaps even 500 GB, since you would in effect have two OS-s on the same disk.

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:58
French to English
+ ...
Works well on MBP or smaller MacBook, be careful of screen size May 3, 2016

I have used TRADOS running under Parallels on both a Mac Book Pro and one of the new small Mac Books (so slower processor in principle). It works absolutely fine on either. I'd concur with others about RAM and disk size, and would add that you need to think about screen size: TRADOS uses up "housekeeping" screen space, so the more you can have available the better.

If you do want a smaller screen, I would definitely steer away from the older Mac Book Airs with non-Retina screens. Small screen but high resolution works if you have good eyesight; small and pixelated isn't going to fly quite so well when you're trying to pack as much on to the screen as you can.

Macondo user
United States
I have a MacBook Pro with a 13 inch screen Jun 6, 2016

Will that do it for Trados 2015? The resolution is 1280x800-1240x600 or so. I am wondering if this is good enough. I also do not know what to install through boot camp, if windows 7 or windows 8.1. My mac does not accept Windows 10 according to the Apple Website. Could you or anyone else who sees this message, guide me a bit on these decisions, please.
Magda
Thanks

[Edited at 2016-06-06 11:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-06-06 11:42 GMT]

Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 08:58
English to German
+ ...
Core-M is noticeably slower Jun 6, 2016

I have an ultrabook with a Core-M Intel (from 2015), 8 GB RAM and SSD.
It is noticeably slower than my other notebook which has a much faster I7.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

System requirements for Trados - what does "a recent Intel or compatible CPU" really imply?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search