How to translate Source element into Target elemnt in XML file?
Thread poster: Nadya Rangelova

Nadya Rangelova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:12
English to Bulgarian
May 3, 2016

Dear colleagues,

I received an XML file for translation with the following structure:
/? xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?/ /SRC_VALUE/ Original text //SRC_VALUE/ /TRG_VALUE/ ? //TRG_VALUE/

I need to translate the text from SRC_VALUE element into TRG_VALUE element. Is there any option to create such rule? For example in the .csv rule one can select which column is the source and which is the target text.

I tried to create new XML rule but in vane. Please, give me an advice.

Nadya

P.S. I am using Trados 2014.

[Edited at 2016-05-03 21:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-04 04:34 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nadya Rangelova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:12
English to Bulgarian
TOPIC STARTER
Copy text from SRC into TRG and translate only every other segment May 20, 2016

So I ended with copying text from SRC into TRG element and translated only every other segment. Thus, when translating I benefit from the TM function (search, concordance, autopropogate, etc.). After translation I had to clean the odd segments and make sure that only the even segments have translation. After generating the target file I got the required result and did not do any post-processing.

The only cons of this workaround is the time that I spent preparing the file. I am not familiar with XML and copying and pasting 1,000 segments was a paint and took me about 3 hours. I did this in Notepad++.

If anyone have better idea, please, share it.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate Source element into Target elemnt in XML file?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search