Studio 2015 alignment: (un)synchronise function?
Thread poster: Heather Milligan
Heather Milligan
Local time: 20:25
German to English
May 4, 2016

Hi all,

Just testing out 2015 before thinking of upgrading...so far unfortunately not so pleased with the 2015 alignment tool.

- takes too many clicks to get things done
- join segments function disappeared (working around this requires all the clicks)
- adjusted segmentation rules/abbreviations lists don't work well in target (hence the need for join segments)

My question now is: has the option to unsynchronise the two columns also been disappeared?

That would be very disappointing indeed as bad alignments (see segmentation issues above) often mean the segments can't be viewed in a single pane.

This again severely affects how useful the Retrofit function will be practically. In the example I tried, Retrofit is being thwarted by a bad alignment. Which is doubly disappointing as Retrofit sounds like a fantastic new function!

Anyone know of a function or a workaround?

Thanks!
Heather

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I believe the alignment tool for the old Trados is still better May 4, 2016

If the main purpose of upgrading to Studio 2015 is in the hope that the alignment tool should be better than before, you probably will be disappointed. Apparently SDL has so far not worked that much to improve that tool so some other tool would probably be better. Personally I prefer the old Trados tool over the new alignment tool.

Heather Milligan
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bad alignment = no retrofit function = why upgrade? May 6, 2016

Not as such, but alignment needs to work.

For one, I will need to align files in the future.

But more importantly, one of the major new functions - Retrofit - is dependent on a good or editable alignment. The one that I tested (recent customer work) is entirely unusable because of alignment difficulties (target segmentation doesn't match source segmentation despite matching rules!, thus wildly different documents, can't connect across paragraphs!).

I was assuming we'd have to upgrade sooner or later, compatibility, licensing nightmares with 2011, etc. However, if the new functions are unusable and old functions are less usable than before, I'm not sure the increase in speed justifies the (not inconsiderable) expense.

As a side note, I've realized my original question about unsynchronising is irrelevant since the new alignment won't let you connect across paragraphs anyway. What is the point of this feature other than to make life difficult?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015 alignment: (un)synchronise function?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search