Thread poster: Verena Schmidt

Verena Schmidt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:28
Spanish to German
+ ...
May 6, 2016

... by the target of an invocation"

I work with Studio 2011 o a Windows 8.1 machine and get this error message when translating a project file. This doesn't happen when I work with single files.

I can translate and confirm segments, but when I try to click on the the "Project" tab and/or on a single file in the "Project" or "Files" view, Studio displays this message and shuts down.

When I open Studio again, the project has disappeared in the Projects view.

I de-installed Studio and Microsoft Word and installed both programs again. The same happens.

I searched the forum, but didn't find a solution. Most posts regarding this message refer to the process of trying to save a target file.

Any help appreciated!

[Bearbeitet am 2016-05-06 15:48 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Programming quality indicator May 6, 2016

Obscure error messages, incomprehensive to non-programmers, are useful as an indicator of SDL Trados source code quality.

TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:28
Incomprehensible to some, useless to all May 8, 2016

Joakim Braun wrote:

Obscure error messages, incomprehensive to non-programmers, are useful as an indicator of SDL Trados source code quality.

I'm sorry to say, that one's actually meaningless to a programmer too! Stripped of jargon, it says "something went wrong". The more common "error 0x80072ee7" type messages are no more helpful to non-programmers, of course, but at least a programmer will know how to translate that into English: its long name is "ERROR_INTERNET_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED", which probably makes at least some sense to most people.

That message, though, is a waste of pixels! Assuming you're using the latest 32 bit version of Word (not the 64 bit one? It's available, but doesn't always work with add-ons), I'd try downgrading to the previous one to see if that helps, or try running the Trados app under "compatibility mode": you can make Windows emulate an older version to get around some of these problems.

As a last resort, to test if it is the version of Windows to blame, you can get free "virtual machines" with Windows 7 in from Microsoft themselves here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/windows/ - you could put Trados and Word inside a Windows 7 machine to see if that helps.

Joakim's got a point, though, any programmer writing an "error message" that bad probably shouldn't be allowed to release their work to the public!

SDL_Guillaume
Local time: 18:28
Member (2015)
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. May 11, 2016

Verena Schmidt wrote:

... by the target of an invocation"

I work with Studio 2011 o a Windows 8.1 machine and get this error message when translating a project file. This doesn't happen when I work with single files.

I can translate and confirm segments, but when I try to click on the the "Project" tab and/or on a single file in the "Project" or "Files" view, Studio displays this message and shuts down.

When I open Studio again, the project has disappeared in the Projects view.

I de-installed Studio and Microsoft Word and installed both programs again. The same happens.

I searched the forum, but didn't find a solution. Most posts regarding this message refer to the process of trying to save a target file.

Any help appreciated!

[Bearbeitet am 2016-05-06 15:48 GMT]

Dear Ms Schmidt,

This is Guillaume from SDL.

There is an article about this error message in our Knowledge Base, with a resolution: http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4257

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Please try out our SDL Community portal http://xl8.one
Professionals helping Professionals with all your SDL Studio questions.

Have a question about licensing and installation?
Use our LIVE CHAT facility bit.lySDLChat

Verena Schmidt  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guillaume, May 16, 2016

I don't get this message when trying to save the target.

Does this resolution also work for my case?

The article says: "NOTE: This article only applies if the error Office has detected a problem with this file. To help protect your computer this file cannot be opened. is showing in the error message."

That's not the error message I get.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Exception has been thrown ...

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search