Thread poster: dlecount

dlecount
Germany
Local time: 22:03
German to English
+ ...
May 9, 2016

Hi all,

I'm planning on replacing my ageing desktop PC (running Windows 7, back from when Windows 7 was still new!) with a laptop to improve my mobility situation and system performance. I already have a Trados Studio 2015 licence, so I'd basically be transferring it over to the new system.

The problem is this - on my present desktop PC (Athlon II X2 220 running at 2800MHz a core), Studio 2015 wouldn't win any awards for performance. It tends to be rather sluggish (as does the PC as a whole), but looking around for a reasonable laptop, I've noticed that affordable notebooks don't tend to do particularly well in the CPU performance department. I know CPU clock speed isn't everything, and that Intel's i5 notebook processors tend to provide better performance per MHz than AMD's, but unfortunately SDL's specified requirements are rather vague, with "a recent Intel or compatible CPU" being required.

So I'm wondering - is anyone here running Studio on a notebook with decent performance? And if so, what specs does your hardware have (CPU and RAM)?

Thanks,

Darryl

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech_
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Other advice May 9, 2016

Hi,

Instead of looking for a machine with an extremely powerful processor, I'd recommend that you invest in SSD disk, because HDD is often the bottleneck of the computer. I run Studio 2015 on my Athlon II X4 2800 Mhz and with SSD as the system disk and the one where most programs are installed, Studio runs like a dream

dlecount
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SSD is certainly a worthwhile investment... May 9, 2016

pro-lingua wrote:

Well, I'm not so much looking for a top-of-the-line processor, but rather the sweet spot at which increasing CPU performance generates diminishing returns. On my 2.8GHz Athlon X2, for instance, Trados does run ridiculously slowly. It's not just Trados: Windows 7 itself has always taken an age to start up on this system, and Microsoft Office isn't particularly nippy on it either. The hardware itself was more designed for XP - it was already cheap and cheerful back in 2010 when I bought it.

But yes, with the fairly intensive disk access that using Studio 2015 involves, I'm almost certain that an SSD would be a wise investment. A quick test run with the resource monitor under Win7 shows that, indeed, both CPU and HDD are being maxed out (although the notoriously unoptimised Google Chrome is a key culprit here).

Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:03
Chinese to English
+ ...
Don't worry May 10, 2016

Anything current that isn't a Celeron is going to run circles around your current CPU.

And whatever sluggishness you feel may still be connected to your hard disk more than the CPU.

[Edited at 2016-05-10 03:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience with Studio 2015 and laptop CPUs

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search