Thread poster: Shmuel Pfeifel

Shmuel Pfeifel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:14
English to Hebrew
+ ...
May 11, 2016

Hi,

Numbered lists in the language pair EnHeb are recognized as such by Trados Studio 2015, but not being converted to target language. I get the lists in source language also in the translation

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Shmuel

[Edited at 2016-05-11 10:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-11 10:19 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
יכול להיות תוצר של מספור אוטומטי May 12, 2016

שלום שמואל,
אני מניח שני דברים:
1. קובץ המקור שלך הוא קובץ Word
2. במסמך המקור שלך מופעל מספור אוטומטי.
ואם אני מבין נכון בקובץ התוצאתי המתורגם אתה רואה מספור כפול.

כמה פתרונות:
1. בטל את המספור האוטומטי לפני התרגום וחדש אותו לאחריו.
2. מחק את המספור בעת התרגום ב-Studio. אם המספר מופיע כיחידת תרגום נפרדת - תרגם אותו לרווח.

חג עצמאות שמח!

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do not get double lists May 12, 2016

היי אמנון
אינני רואה מספור כפול
מסמך שיש לו מספור בעברית לא הופך למספור באנגלית בתרגום
ומסמך שיש לו מספור באנגלית לא הופך לעברית בתרגום
כלומר abcd לא הופך אבגד

חג שמח!

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:14
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
English as the working language May 12, 2016

Hi everybody,

I would like to remind that the working language of this forum is English: please write in English so that other users could participate.

Thank you.

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 12, 2016

For the comment. You are right!
Amnon suggested that it is a problem of double numbering and I explained that it is not.
The problem remains that automatic numbering that does not even appear in the work window remains in the origin and does not get converted to the target language....still hoping someone will have an idea about this...

Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
This time in English May 12, 2016

Well.
I understad now that you want to convert automatic numbering expressed by letters from Eng to Heb. And since this numbering is not part of the translation text, it is not converted. Well it looks thst the solution is to strip the automatic numbering from the source document and to recreate it in Hebrew once you have saved it under "Save Target As..".
Best regards

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 04:14
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
If you are working with a Word document, the bullets should be editable May 12, 2016

Shmuel Pfeifel wrote:

For the comment. You are right!
Amnon suggested that it is a problem of double numbering and I explained that it is not.
The problem remains that automatic numbering that does not even appear in the work window remains in the origin and does not get converted to the target language....still hoping someone will have an idea about this...

After you have exported the translation, I believe you should be able to choose the type of bullets you want, i.e. change them from whatever bullet is used in source. Or am I wrong here? The standard is that the bullets are kept as is in Studio, as far as I know.

Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Amnon, Roy May 12, 2016

Both your solutions are doable (I'm using Roy's right now) but labor intensive, complex and prone to error, and exactly the kind of operations that Studio should be doing as part of its automation processes.

It seems incredulous to me that Studio is not handling this stuff...It certainly identifies the numbered list as such, because it excludes it from the source and re-inserts it correctly in the target file, it knows the source and target languages, yet fails to convert the numbered list. Does that sound even remotely reasonable to you with software at this level?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Numbered lists not converted automatically to target language

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search