Thread poster: Ekaterina (Katia) Glass

Ekaterina (Katia) Glass
United States
Local time: 00:41
English to Russian
+ ...
May 12, 2016

Hello!

I created a term base with MultiTerm (Trados). Can I use it as is (after exporting) in other CAT tools (no specific one)? Or do I need to convert it to a different format?

If there were previous discussions, please post the links here.

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 09:41
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Different CAT tools have different formats for their TBs May 13, 2016

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a standard format for TBs and TMs that all CAT tools are locked into. I know that Dejavu cannot import Studio TMs directly, and I am pretty certain the same goes for the TBs - they first have to be exported in a format that Dejavu can import.

I think the format you want, is TMX.

Roy

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Glossary Converter May 13, 2016

Unfortunately, you will find that there is no easy way of porting Multiterm termbases to other applications. As the colleagues have mentioned, each CAT tool has its own format and approach to terminology.

Very possibly, your other CAT tool will have a way of importing glossaries, either in Excel or in CSV format. SDL's app store contains a tool, the "Glossary Converter" that takes Multiterm termbases and produces Excel files. I have used it many times and, with some cleanup (and also some loss of information), it will allow you to reuse your terminology in other tools.

You can find it here: http://appstore.sdl.com/app/glossary-converter/195/

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Depends on the tool May 13, 2016

Ekaterina (Katia) Glass wrote:

Hello!

I created a term base with MultiTerm (Trados). Can I use it as is (after exporting) in other CAT tools (no specific one)? Or do I need to convert it to a different format?

If there were previous discussions, please post the links here.

Thank you!

The "standard" for a termbase exchange is probably TBX, and for Translation memories is TMX. Most CAT tools will be able to work with TMX, but not all can use TBX. The problem with termbases is they are infinitely flexible and the structure of the termbase is entirely down to the user who created it. The other problem is that not all CAT tools are alike and whilst most will support a textual import of some sort not all will be able to support proper picklists or media files for example.

So it's horses for courses! You need to create the exchange file to suit the tool you are importing into. As Tomás mentioned, as a user of our software you can also take advantage of the Glossary Converter and this is pretty good at giving you a format you can use in almost any tool, or at least a good starting point for manipulating the data into the format you need.

This article explains a little the sort of conversions you can do:

https://multifarious.filkin.com/2015/12/09/feature-rich/

Regards

Paul

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
CSV May 13, 2016

Ekaterina (Katia) Glass wrote:

Hello!

Probably a tab-delimited CSV file is the handiest format, since you can easily work on it with Excel (or similar software) and convert it to other formats.

At least, I think this applies to CAT tools such as MemoQ, Studio, Wordfast, Déjà Vu...

Also, you could use Xbench to work with different file formats (e.g. load a MultiTerm XML and save it as CSV)

[Edited at 2016-05-13 07:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exchanging term bases

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search