Thread poster: Johan Venter

Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:23
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2005

I just started using TagEditor for the first time and ran into some trouble. Again.

The source file has a *.rtf.ttx extention and after I'm done translating it I clean it up and Trados then leaves it with a *.rtf extension. How do I get the *.rtf.ttx extension back without having to change it manually, or is it correct for the translated file to have the *.rtf extension?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why "problem again"? Mar 7, 2005

It does not seem to be a problem, but a fature.
If you translate a file with TAG Editor you get a so called billingual file after the translation. The extension of this file is *ttx. This file contains "uncleaned" text, similar to Word, before cleanup.
The source format is a monolingual file, and the target format must be a monolingual file. So if you clean up a ttx file, you get by default a monolingual file with the original extension. What shall be wrong about it?

Regards
Jerzy

Czech Republic
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation Mar 7, 2005

I said problem again because I asked a different question about TagEditor earlier today

The source file contains only one language, and this file has the 'double file extension', so to speak. I basically need to know what is normal in this situation, to send the file back to the client with the *.rtf extension only or with the double extension, considering that I received the source file with the double extension.

I will of course clarify this with the client if necessary, but I need to know what my fellow professionals normally do in this situation as this is my first project using TagEditor and I do not want to risk sounding like an idiot to the client.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is no simple answer to your question Mar 7, 2005

because only your customer knows what he needs.
And you will not sound like an idiot if you ask.
If nothing was agreed, I would deliver only the monolingual file, as this is the product of any translation.

But once again - you should clarify that with your customer.

Jerzy

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TTX Mar 7, 2005

Since the client sent you a .ttx file, they will most probably want it back in the same format. That way they will be able to send it to a proofreader and clean it up into their TM.

Czech Republic
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Last note Mar 8, 2005

Thank you for your help, the both of you make sense. May I just ask how do I convert the file back to the double extension if I need to? Do I simply do it manually, or should I not clean up the files?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Look in the folder where you saved the file Mar 8, 2005

A ttx should still be there.
If not, take the source file and make a machine translation with it. Then it will get billingual again.

Regards
Jerzy

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Look for the TTX file - it should be there Mar 8, 2005

Hi again,
venter wrote:

Thank you for your help, the both of you make sense. May I just ask how do I convert the file back to the double extension if I need to? Do I simply do it manually, or should I not clean up the files?

Once again, this depends on what your customer needs to do with it - if they need to do more work on it, it's very likely they will need a TTX file rather than a cleaned-up RTF. If your customer is an agency, they should define the delivery format when placing the job.

In any case, the TTX file should still be there after cleanup (just like .bak files remaining after a cleanup of Word files). What are your settings in Options - Translation Memory Options - Tools - Backup?

Cheers, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File Extensions

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search