Thread poster: Ruth Hollard

Ruth Hollard  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:18
Member (2015)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 16, 2016

Whenever I am am traveling, I can't get my google Translate API key or SDL Language Cloud to work. At home they automatically open up when I turn on Trados. Even if I re-input the API key when prompted, it does not work so I end up working without it, defeating the whole purpose of freelancing so I can travel more. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:18
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My question May 16, 2016

Ruth Hollard wrote:

Whenever I am am traveling, I can't get my google Translate API key or SDL Language Cloud to work. At home they automatically open up when I turn on Trados. Even if I re-input the API key when prompted, it does not work so I end up working without it, defeating the whole purpose of freelancing so I can travel more. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks!

My question is not directly related to this topic.
But I wonder I can trace records of my use of Google Translate through access at Trados Studio 2011, 2014 or 2015 or not? Could anyone explain to me since some client badly hate using of Google Translate or other MT.

Best regards,

Soonthon L.

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 16:18
English to German
The key might be restricted to a certain scenario May 16, 2016

Ruth Hollard wrote:

Whenever I am am traveling, I can't get my google Translate API key or SDL Language Cloud to work.

There are different kinds of keys and different ways an application can use them. You can't use any key in any scenario. Ask SDL whether you key is valid in your scenario.

(BTW, "travelling" or "at home" is not a technically relevant detail. Maybe you use a different computer, or a different access media, or ... probably that makes the distinction.)

sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:18
Member (2015)
Google Translate API & SDL Language Cloud May 16, 2016

Dear Ruth,

I have only seen this issue once or twice before and the issue seems to have been the connection!
If you are able to otherwise access the web, this points to the public/hotel WiFi connection and their Proxy/Firewall settings.
Could you check with the provider to see what restrictions they impose please.
Also if you able to- I would advise testing in a different Wifi connections.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

SDL_Roman

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:18
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Google translate May 16, 2016

Hi Soonthon,

Thanks for posting this question.

Occasionally we are asked if the use of MT is recorded in the translation file.
The simple answer is yes it is.
As you are aware- some clients prohibit the use of MT with any given project and will take steps to protect their intellectual property by way of a signed NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement).
The issue here is that many MT providers use an open platform - put simply-
anything uploaded for MT translation could be seen by others.

As an SDL Studio 2015 user, you may be aware of SDL LANGUAGE CLOUD

http://www.sdl.com/languagecloud/

SDL Language Cloud differs from other platforms in the fact that we do NOT reuse your source text to update our engines. Guaranteed.
Once you have received the target translation, you are free to keep this and add to your own TM. This is a much more secure and flexible solution.

Please note: that the use of LC (MT) is still recorded in the project files!
I am aware of a number of clients that allow their translators to (only) use SDL Language Cloud- so its worth checking with them first.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Kr SDL_Steve

Ruth Hollard  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:18
Member (2015)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 16, 2016

Thank you Rolf and Roman-
The connection must be the issue since I use the same computer all the time. Thanks so much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Traveling with Google Translate API & SDL Language Cloud

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search