Workbench tools on word do not operate
Thread poster: shule
shule  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
Mar 8, 2005

I have been using Trados 5 Freelance since 2001. While transalting a file I came across with the corrupted character problem. While trying to overcome this problem by modifying styles (as I was suggested by a colleague) I have lost Trados function completely. None of workbench tools on the Trados menu will work, neither the shortcuts. There is no error message. I have tried with different Tms in different documents but no help. When I press open/get in a completely new docuemnt with only one sentence the word makes the following changes in reverse oder as I see from Undo:

ParagraphFormat.LineSpacing
ParagraphFormat.LineSpacingRule
ParagraphFormat.SpaceAfter
ParagraphFormat.SpaceBefore
Selection.Delete
Selection.TypeText
Font.Reset
Range.InsertParagraphAfter
ParagraphFormat.LineSpacing
ParagraphFormat.LineSpacingRule
ParagraphFormat.SpaceAfter
ParagraphFormat.SpaceBefore

However no visible change is made in the text.

For those who will advise me to seach the forums and TW users let me tell that I have searched all of them. I have tried all the suggestions; recreated template files (both trados and normal template), searched for bookmarks, disabled term recognition, disabled virus tool, exported my Tm and imported t back, cretaed a new TM, run Workbench from the folder instead of the shortcut.... Lastly I have decided to remove Trados and re-install it but the program is not removed, neither re-installed. It says "installation was interrupted before it was completed." I am using Office XP on Windows 98.

I seems that Workbench and Word has a communicaiton problem in some way. By the way, Wordfast functions without any problem. I wil appreciate any suggestions other than I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:41
English to Czech
+ ...
Black magic Mar 8, 2005

Didn't you have any problems using Trados Freelance 5 with MS Office XP before? I thought they were not compatible.

If the combination worked, I would suggest reinstalling both Office and Trados. But I don't understand the installation error. Something seems to be corrupt.

Actually, I would also suggest upgrading to Windows XP, if your computer can handle it.

Sorry if this is not the advice you were looking for...

Kaori Myatt  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
English to Japanese
+ ...
uninstall the software?? Mar 8, 2005

Trados has a lot of problem...I have encountered many problems...with 5.5.

I think you should uninstall it and install it again. Update 5 to 6.5.

I hope it will help.

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:41
Danish to English
+ ...
Trados Mar 8, 2005

Trados is a very sensitive program and has a lot of problems. F. ex., if hitting a couple of keys by mistake instead of one key, Trados malfunctions. When Trados errored occur, I found the only way to get Trados to work correctly again was to uninstall, clean up the PC, reinstall the program. Trados is very sensitive to all other programs or typing errors. Trados will slow down most users due to its sensitivity. Upgrading does not help.

Good luck.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Uninstall because of hitting wrong keys? Mar 8, 2005

Hi,
This is slightly OT, but...
Trados is a very sensitive program and has a lot of problems. F. ex., if hitting a couple of keys by mistake instead of one key, Trados malfunctions.

Can you please describe this problem in more detail, preferably in a new thread?

When Trados errored occur, I found the only way to get Trados to work correctly again was to uninstall, clean up the PC, reinstall the program. Trados is very sensitive to all other programs or typing errors. Trados will slow down most users due to its sensitivity. Upgrading does not help.

I cannot confirm this at all.

There may be other problems, but you would need to provide some more background (again, not necessarily in this topic). I use Trados on a daily basis, without problems (Win2k SP4, Office XP SP2, T 6.5.2.417 and 439).

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I can only suport what Ralf says Mar 9, 2005

There are absolutely no problems with Trados, when used properly and as intended.

To the main problem of this thread: it seems, that your Trados5.dot or Normal.dot get corrupted somehow.
To check this, close Word, and replace the Trados5.dot (or Trados6.dot, when using Trados 6.x) in Word start folder with the original one from Trados installation folder. This should help.
If not, close Word again, go to the Template folder, rename your normal.dot to xnormal.dot and restart Word.
If it does not work with this particualr document, try another one, as sometimes documents are corrputed too.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench tools on word do not operate

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search