Cannot add new terms to termbase (greyed out)
Thread poster: RhondaSherwood
May 27, 2016

Hi,

I've been using Trados Studio 2014 for a long time, translating from French to English. I've recently started translating from Spanish to English and am trying to adapt my termbase and translation memory.

I think I have successfully changed the definitions in my termbase to include Spanish as a third language. I think I've also successfully created a new translation memory for Spanish to English.

But now when I try to add a term to this termbase, both A
... See more
Hi,

I've been using Trados Studio 2014 for a long time, translating from French to English. I've recently started translating from Spanish to English and am trying to adapt my termbase and translation memory.

I think I have successfully changed the definitions in my termbase to include Spanish as a third language. I think I've also successfully created a new translation memory for Spanish to English.

But now when I try to add a term to this termbase, both Add new term/Quick add new term options are greyed out. Can anyone help with this? I've looked around on the Internet to see if others have had this problem, but nothing I've found seems to work. Thanks very much!

One thing I have noticed is that when I go to project settings > Termbases, under Languages, it lists the project's language as English (Canada) and Spanish Mexico. The termbase language for English (Canada) as English, but for Spanish (Mexico) the Termbase language is (Not Specified). When I click on the drop down arrow, the only options I get are:

(Not specified)
English
French

It doesn't give me Spanish as an option. Could this be the problem?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Oh, wait.... I'm now translating another document from French-English, with my default FR-ENG termbase and when I quick-added a term, it gave me the option to include a Spanish term. I guess it's all in the same termbase, which seems to be handy I think... lol. I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about!

Rhonda

[Edited at 2016-05-27 19:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-27 20:01 GMT]
Collapse

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:33
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Select the right termbase May 28, 2016

Perhaps you didn't select the right termbase.

My guess is that you can not add a spanish term into a fr-en termbase.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 04:33
French to German
+ ...
Termbases are multilingual as opposed to bilingual TMs May 30, 2016

Rhonda

Termbases don't work the same way as TMs, they are multilingual. A termbase entzry contains all languages you have defined for the termbase and when you open the termbase in a Studio project, Studio simply adjusts the order in which the language levels are displayed in the entry.
You need to make sure however that your termbase definition contains the languages you have in your Studio project.

Walter

RhondaSherwood
RhondaSherwood
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 31, 2016

Thanks to both of you for your help.

You seem to be right Walter.

Thanks again,
Rhonda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot add new terms to termbase (greyed out)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »