Multiterm (SDL Studio 2014) behaving inexplicably
Thread poster: Mpoma

Mpoma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:40
French to English
May 29, 2016

Dear all,

Have been using SDL Studio for about a year and thought I'd take a look at MultiTerm.

I just followed the instructions from a book (SDL Trados Studio - Practical Guide) and I'm very puzzled by what works and what doesn't.

Having entered about 5 terms into a fresh Termbase I am finding that some words are spotted and others not

Segment A - source
"La compétition sportive se tiendra à compter du 6 juin 2016 et s’achèvera, au plus tard, pour le Final Four desdits Playoff, le 22 juin 2016."
Multiterm: - "Playoff" spotted, "compter" spotted

But a short while later:
Segment B - source
"Sous réserve que le Club [...] des Playoff qui se déroulera les [...] X et Y conviennent que le contrat de travail à durée déterminée d’usage en référence sera prorogé à compter du [...], pour une durée de 99 jours, soit jusqu’au [...] inclus."
Multiterm: - "Playoff" spotted, "compter" NOT spotted, "prorogé" NOT spotted

I did a few experiments with "prorogé" e.g. spelling without acute E ("proroge").

But this term is never spotted.

Even more mysterious, "compter" was spotted in Segment A... but not in Segment B.

I always assume everything to do SDL/Trados is never going to work properly. This has so often been my experience in the past. Can anyone possibly explain what might be happening here??? Thanks!

*** later ***
A little bit of experimentation seems to indicate that these terms were not being recognised because they were too far into a longish segment (!)... Not that long though, just a few lines. When I create a new document similar to the original, but with the words "compter" and "prorogé" nearer the beginning of Segment B ... they both get recognised by Termbase.

Is SDL just abysmal or might there be some reason for this behaviour???

[Edited at 2016-05-29 15:14 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 04:40
French to German
+ ...
Try to adjust the settings ... May 30, 2016

... that you can find in "Project Settings - Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Termbases - Search Settings".

I always assume everything to do SDL/Trados is never going to work properly.

This explains why it does not work, your negative expectation causes it to fail:-)

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2016-05-30 19:35 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2016-05-30 19:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm (SDL Studio 2014) behaving inexplicably

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search