How can I make Studio to automatically sign-off all text written in red?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 3, 2016

Quite often, my customer marks some of the text with red colour that I don't need to translate. So I was wondering if there is any simple way of making Studio recognize this and then automatically sign-off such segments?

Direct link Reply with quote

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:52
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
If it is MS Word, an easy way is to format that text as hidden Jun 3, 2016

There are probably several way of doing this, depending on the kind of source file you have.

If you are working with MS Word files, the easiest way is to search for all red text, and replace it with red hidden text. That way you wouldn't even see it in Studio.

Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 23:52
English to Russian
Tool for hiding text in Word Jun 3, 2016

Hello, Fredrik,

If you only have a couple of paragraphs containing this red text, it might be easier to select them, hit CTRL+SHIFT+H (shortcut for hiding/unhiding selected text) or check Hidden box in the Font dialogue, import the document, and remember to unhide this text after generating the target document.

If you have quite a few of such red fragments, I would recommend you to use Hide / Unhide Text tool (part of TransTools for Word add-in). This free tool can hide text formatted with a certain highlight color or font color, or, alternatively, hide everything except the text formatted with a certain color. Use Hide / Unhide Text tool, select "Hide colored text only" (second option), select "Font Color: Red" from the dropdown list next to the option, and then press Continue button. This will hide the red text from Studio. Import the document and translate. After the target document is generated, use the same tool, choose the third option (Unhide everything) and press Continue to unhide previously hidden text.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
Translator Tools – Useful tools for every translator

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search