Cannot add TM in Starter Edition of Trados?
Thread poster: Lauri Lindqvist

Lauri Lindqvist
United States
Local time: 01:39
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 4, 2016

I have the 2015 Starter Edition of Trados, and I was sent a project and a TM separately. I'm trying to add the TM to the project but when I go to Project Settings > Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Translation Memory and Automated Translation, all the buttons are grayed out (Add, Create, etc.). I thought it's because I have the Starter Edition, but information on the Trados website seems to indicate I should be able to create and use TM's even with Starter Edition. What could be going wrong here?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:39
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
No project options in Starter Jun 4, 2016

Starter has two workflow options:
- import a package sent by an agency
- translate a single document (starting from the Welcome screen)

You need to use the second option (or ask your agency to send you a package). When you go through the "translate a single document" wizard, you'll be able to add the TM (so long as it has fewer than 5,000 units). You can't add a TM later under project settings because Starter doesn't give you project options.

You might like to read a guest post that Allison Wright wrote on my blog about the Starter version:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/01/31/studio-starter/

And here are step by step instructions for setting up your first file in Studio (written for Studio 2014, but also applies to Studio 2015):
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/01/01/first_file/

Lauri Lindqvist
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info Jun 4, 2016

Ok, thanks for the info. I emailed the agency asking them to send me a package with the TM already added. They just wrote back this very minute saying actually, the TM is empty so it probably wouldn't be helpful anyway. (Darn!) So I guess I'll go forward without it, and keep this info in mind for future assignments.

AnneGS  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:39
Member (2016)
English to French
Make sure no other TM is selected Jun 4, 2016

Hi!

I am also a beginner with Trados, but just in case I can help: with the Starter version I think you can only use one TM at a time, so when you add your client's TM, make sure no other TM is selected in your settings (for example a TM from a previous project).

Good luck. Let us know how you finally work it out!

Lauri Lindqvist
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can only add TM when translating single document Jun 4, 2016

Hi Anne,

I think Emma is right that in the Starter edition we can only add TM's to a single document translation, not to an existing project. I did a little test opening the source document as a single translation and bam, I was able to add the TM. However, I didn't want to mess up any special formatting the client had used, so I went back to the project package, since the TM was empty anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot add TM in Starter Edition of Trados?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search