Cannot add TM in Starter Edition of Trados?
Thread poster: Lauri Lindqvist

Lauri Lindqvist
United States
Local time: 09:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 4, 2016

I have the 2015 Starter Edition of Trados, and I was sent a project and a TM separately. I'm trying to add the TM to the project but when I go to Project Settings > Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Translation Memory and Automated Translation, all the buttons are grayed out (Add, Create, etc.). I thought it's because I have the Starter Edition, but information on the Trados website seems to indicate I should be able to create and use TM's even with Starter Edition. What could be going wrong here?

Thanks.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:19
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
No project options in Starter Jun 4, 2016

Starter has two workflow options:
- import a package sent by an agency
- translate a single document (starting from the Welcome screen)

You need to use the second option (or ask your agency to send you a package). When you go through the "translate a single document" wizard, you'll be able to add the TM (so long as it has fewer than 5,000 units). You can't add a TM later under project settings because Starter doesn't give you project options.

You might like to read a guest post that Allison Wright wrote on my blog about the Starter version:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/01/31/studio-starter/

And here are step by step instructions for setting up your first file in Studio (written for Studio 2014, but also applies to Studio 2015):
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/01/01/first_file/

Lauri Lindqvist
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info Jun 4, 2016

Ok, thanks for the info. I emailed the agency asking them to send me a package with the TM already added. They just wrote back this very minute saying actually, the TM is empty so it probably wouldn't be helpful anyway. (Darn!) So I guess I'll go forward without it, and keep this info in mind for future assignments.

Anne Gaujard-Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:19
Member (2016)
English to French
Make sure no other TM is selected Jun 4, 2016

Hi!

I am also a beginner with Trados, but just in case I can help: with the Starter version I think you can only use one TM at a time, so when you add your client's TM, make sure no other TM is selected in your settings (for example a TM from a previous project).

Good luck. Let us know how you finally work it out!

Lauri Lindqvist
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can only add TM when translating single document Jun 4, 2016

Hi Anne,

I think Emma is right that in the Starter edition we can only add TM's to a single document translation, not to an existing project. I did a little test opening the source document as a single translation and bam, I was able to add the TM. However, I didn't want to mess up any special formatting the client had used, so I went back to the project package, since the TM was empty anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot add TM in Starter Edition of Trados?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search