https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/303092-bilingual_or_multilingual_termbase_in_trados_multiterm_2015.html

Bilingual or Multilingual Termbase in Trados Multiterm 2015
Thread poster: Katya Danova
Katya Danova
Katya Danova
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:12
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jun 13, 2016

Hi,

I am fairly new to the Trados Studio and I am currently trying to figure out how Multiterm works.

I am fluent in English and Greek and would like to translate from both languages (not simultaneously), into my native language, which is Bulgarian.

My question is when creating a Termbase memory is it better to create a multilingual, and if yes, does Trados automatically recognizes from which language I am translating and finds the term for me, or is it
... See more
Hi,

I am fairly new to the Trados Studio and I am currently trying to figure out how Multiterm works.

I am fluent in English and Greek and would like to translate from both languages (not simultaneously), into my native language, which is Bulgarian.

My question is when creating a Termbase memory is it better to create a multilingual, and if yes, does Trados automatically recognizes from which language I am translating and finds the term for me, or is it better to create bilingual termbases for each second language instead. Thank you!
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 12:12
French to German
+ ...
Termbases are by default "multilingual" Jun 13, 2016

Hi Katya

Unlike translation memories, MultiTerm termbases are always multilingual. This means that an "entry" contain the terms for all the languages you have chosen to be included in your termbase.

Whenever you open a termbase within a project in Studio, Studio will automatically check that the language pair of your Studio project is covered by the languages in your termbase and also automatically adjust the settings so that the two correct languages are display
... See more
Hi Katya

Unlike translation memories, MultiTerm termbases are always multilingual. This means that an "entry" contain the terms for all the languages you have chosen to be included in your termbase.

Whenever you open a termbase within a project in Studio, Studio will automatically check that the language pair of your Studio project is covered by the languages in your termbase and also automatically adjust the settings so that the two correct languages are displayed and updated when you add a new term or correct an existing one.

Walter
Collapse

Katya Danova
Katya Danova
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:12
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multilingual Terbase Jun 13, 2016

Walter,

thank for your quick response and for clarifying the matter. I was just about to begin some experimentation with creating and importing termbases into Trados Studio, but you have saved me some time, which I can now use into exploring other aspects of the software.

Katya

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual or Multilingual Termbase in Trados Multiterm 2015

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »