Kate Deimling
United States
Local time: 04:46
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2016

Hi,

I recently did a translation project from French into both UK and US English (I didn't create the project myself, but it was sent to me by a project manager based in France). I received the package with both files and did the UK one first and saved it and updated the translation memory. When I opened the US file, none of the UK translations had auto-propagated into my US document. Perhaps the UK file was connected to a UK TM and the US one to a US TM, so my UK translations would therefore not help me with US.

So next I tried making a new copy of the completed UK xliff file and then changing the target language to US, figuring this way I could go through and use spellcheck to find the spelling differences. But I couldn't find a way to change the target language of the file.

The project was simply a list of keywords, and I ended up just entering them in all over again in the US file since they were fresh in my mind and it wasn't too onerous. But in the future I'd like to find a better way of dealing with this issue when it comes up. Does anyone have any easy solutions? Apologies if this issue has been dealt with before, but I did a search and didn't come up with any answers.

Thanks!

K

SDL_Guillaume
Local time: 09:46
AnyTM Jun 14, 2016

Dear Ms Deimling,

This is Guillaume from SDL.

With the AnyTM app available on OpenExchange, you will be able to use any translation memory, whether or not the TMs match the languages pair of your project.

You can download it via the following link: http://appstore.sdl.com/app/sdl-trados-studio-anytm-translation-provider/400/

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Kate Deimling
United States
Local time: 04:46
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 14, 2016

Guillaume,

Thanks for your help. I'll see if AnyTM can help me with this issue in the future.

Best,
Kate

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating project into both US and UK Eng in Studio 2014

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search