Change File Usage after Processed for Translation
Thread poster: María Croxcatto

María Croxcatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:55
English to Spanish
Jun 14, 2016

Hi, I have not found a solution to this very specific situation that I have once in a while:
I translate these projects with another linguist. The client sends me the whole batch of files to analyze, and quote.
I entered all files in Studio, process them, and issue the quote for both my colleague and I. Once we know the wordcount and have an approved deadline, we divide the task --we assign a number of files to each other in an "approximate" way. So, I wouldn't want to eliminate her files from my Studio because if she is then not able to complete her share, I might have to jump in and translate some of her files (or the other way around). Having all the files in the batch is useful for this step (and also for reference.)

However, I would also like to keep her files separated in some way from mine, so I do not have to worry about translating one of her files by mistake through the time this project lasts (usually several days or weeks).

Is there a way to "block" these files from translation, change their usage, anything that would make them stand apart from the rest of the files, but ready to be used if needed? (Like changing the status back.) Even being able to put them in a separate folder would work, but I do not know how to do that without having to eliminate all files and start from scratch again. The important thing here is that all files are already processed, and ready to be translated. I would like to use this processing I did for the quote, without having to create a new project to be able to change file usage or create new folders.
I hope I made myself clearicon_smile.gif

Thank you!

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:55
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Lock each file? Jun 15, 2016

If you lock all segments in the other translator's files/batch, I think you should be safe.
I hope you know how to do it.
Roy

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:55
English to Spanish
... Jun 15, 2016

Hello María,

In Studio's "Files" view you can select the group of files you actually want to work on, using SHIFT-CLICK/CTRL-CLICK, leaving the other files unselected, then right-click on your selection and choose "Open for Translation". Only the selected files will open.

I do not know whether this might help for what you want to do.

Best of luck.

[Edited at 2016-06-15 23:26 GMT]

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:55
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Yes, a much better solution than mine Jun 16, 2016

Miguel Carmona wrote:
In Studio's "Files" view you can select the group of files you actually want to work on, using SHIFT-CLICK/CTRL-CLICK, leaving the other files unselected, then right-click on your selection and choose "Open for Translation". Only the selected files will open.

Yes, this solution is also the one that I would recommend. I just thought about locking segments, but this is of course not necessary in this case.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change File Usage after Processed for Translation

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search