In Studio 2015, how can I easily track if the sentence has an ending blank space?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 15, 2016

In Studio 2015, how can I easily track if the sentence has an ending blank space?

Normally it's just switch this function on in the top ribbon, but for a big document with more than 30,000 words where I am only translating a part of this and the rest are 100 % matches or context matches that should not be reviewed it's not the same thing. Or, I could of course filter and only display my translations. But I still would need to afterwards go through my translated segments one by one to look for sentences with ending blank spaces. Isn't there a more effective way of handling this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:52
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Use a regex expression in the filter Jun 15, 2016

You could use a regex expression in the filter, looking for a blank space before the end of the segment.

The regular expression for Studio would be

\s$

\s - stands for "white space" (includes any type of space... tabs, non breakable space and regular space)
$ - stands for "end of line" (or in Studio "end of segment")

The corresponding regular expression in Xbench (which uses a different flavor of regex) is

[:space:]$

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try this Jun 15, 2016

Thanks Riccardo, this is very useful. These blank spaces almost always appear in every translated document, and it's time-consuming going through manually to find them. And they make an otherwise perfect translation look less than perfect.

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:52
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Bear in mind that sometimes the extra blank space is not in the segment Jun 15, 2016

What I found is that often the extra blank space is not actually in a segment, but ends up between two segments and never appears in Studio.

Sometimes it's better to do some preventive maintenance to strip the extra spaces out of the source text before loading it in Studio.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:52
French to German
+ ...
Use the inbuilt QA function Jun 15, 2016

Fredrik

You may also set the QA option to flag extra spaces at the end of a segment. Go to "Project settings - Verification - QA Checker 3.0 - Punctuation - Check for extra space at the end of a segment". This will give you a warning every time you confirm a segment that has an extra space and therefore prevent this from happening in the first place. It will also flag these errors when you do it for the entire document using F8.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search