Thread poster: vollebregt

vollebregt  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 13:56
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
Jun 16, 2016

Hi All,

I have been working as an editor on a project and received trados files from a translator. I went ahead and made the editing changes (Trados Studio 2014) with tracked changes on, something I've not done before. I dutifully saved the files ("Save as") when each was done, and put them neatly into separate folders denoting the number of the file.

Today I opened the files up, and there were no tracked changes whatsoever. In fact, the documents just looked like the original files sent by the translator. Potentially a whole days work lost....

Did I miss something? Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get the tracked changes back?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:56
Member (2002)
English to Russian
DOC vs DOCX Jun 16, 2016

From my experience, you can save tracked changes if the original Word file is in DOCX format. I suppose you imported the DOC files. Try and save a source file as DOCX, re-import it, re-translate using the relevant TM, with 'Track Changes' on, and export as DOCX.

As a workaround, you can use a comparison function in Word (Review->Compare).

Russian Federation
Member (2002)
English to Russian
Convert your files to DOCX if you want to export tracked changes subsequently Jun 16, 2016

Another confirmation that tracked changes can only be exported to DOCX:

Trados Studio 2011 lets you track changes when reviewing a translation, which is pretty handy, especially if you’re editing someone else’s work. For DOCX files, Studio now exports the tracked changes to the target Word document.
UNQUOTE

http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-export-tracked-changes-from-trados-studio-to-microsoft-word/

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Starting files were DOCX (SDLXLIFF) files Jun 16, 2016

I started with straightforward DOCX (SDLXLIFF) files.

Given the files were going back to the translator, I did not convert to a Target Word document, I simply did "Save as" to keep them as DOCX (SDLXLIFF) files.

Given I have not used tracked changes in SDL Trados Studio before, I wonder if my process was wrong somehow.

Russian Federation
Member (2002)
English to Russian
Saving track changes in (DOCX) SDLXLIFF Jun 16, 2016

Did you use this procedure?

File->Advanced Save->Save Copy As

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Only used the normal saving procedure Jun 16, 2016

Thanks Vladimir for your help.

I saved the files using File -> Save As.

Do you need to use 'File->Advanced Save->Save Copy As' to save tracked changes?

I've just gone to 'File -> Advanced Save and there are only two options for saving (Save All, or Save Source As), but neither include your suggested 'Save Copy As'....

I did another test run and tracked a few changes on the original file, and after Saving as per normal ('Save As'), the tracked changes were again gone when I re-opened the document. I then tried again (but was clicking on a lot of different areas while checking what options I might be missing), and this time the tracked changes were actually there when I reopened the file.

A bit confused!

I need to do quite a few more of these files for this project, so am hoping to find the answer

Russian Federation
Member (2002)
English to Russian
Save Copy As Jun 16, 2016

The "Save Copy As" command is definitely available in SDL Trados Studio 2015:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2015/client_en/File_Tab.htm

Do you use an earlier version (this should have been my first question)?

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Studio 2014 Jun 16, 2016

I use Trados Studio 2014

Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:56
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Track changes hide? Jun 16, 2016

Did you try "Ctrl+Alt+F10" to turn on the track changes?

In the "Editor" interface, Review - Track Changes?, TRADOS version 2015

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tracked changes were on when I was editing the files Jun 17, 2016

Opening the saved files (which were supposed to have tracked changes) and then turning tracked changed back on with "Ctrl+Alt+F10" doesn't do anything unfortunately.

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Discovered the issue - you must overwrite the file to save Tracked Changes Jun 17, 2016

Finally worked it out...

If you simple save your file with tracked changes (Save as), the SDL XLIFF file saved does not contain any of the tracked changes you made.

If you save the file when you first open it (Save as), then make your tracked changes and OVERWRITE the SDL XLIFF file you saved, Trados Studio 2014 is happy to save the tracked changes.

Very bizarre.

I'm surprised not thousands of freelancers have run into this issue when they first started working with tracked changes (and keeping it as a bilingual SDL XLIFF file)?

Anyway, thanks to all who replied to my post

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:56
English to Spanish
... Jun 18, 2016

vollebregt wrote:

I have been working as an editor on a project and received trados files from a translator. I went ahead and made the editing changes (Trados Studio 2014) with tracked changes on, something I've not done before. I dutifully saved the files ("Save as") when each was done, and put them neatly into separate folders denoting the number of the file.

Today I opened the files up, and there were no tracked changes whatsoever. In fact, the documents just looked like the original files sent by the translator.

Hi vollebregt,

What seems to have happened is that the following day you actually opened the original files sent by the translator, not the edited files (with the tracked changes) you saved by using "Save As". You just need to make sure you open the edited files.

Had you saved the edited files buy simply using "File/Save", you would not have run into that situation, but obviously you wanted to keep the original files sent by the translator.

By the way, I have Studio 2014 too, and my interface is exactly as described not only by Vladimir above, but in the Trados Help system. There is no "File/Save As", only "File/Advanced Save/Save Copy As". Are you sure you have Studio 2014?

[Edited at 2016-06-18 15:58 GMT]

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
I've just lost another file's work - NOOOOOOOO! Jun 19, 2016

I must be doing something wrong, because I had another two files edited, which I had saved to a separate folder (and overwritten the files, as explained earlier, so that it would save the tracked changes), re-opening them from the folder again showed the tracked changes, but 10 mins later I open one of them up (always the SDL XLIFF from the folder itself), and the tracked changes are again gone. This is becoming a nightmare.

You make an interesting comment Miguel. Are you saying that if I am in Trados and have made tracked changes to a file and then hit "Save", all is saved, but if I hit "Save As" and save the file into a new folder of my choosing, that only the original file (and not my file with tracked changes) is saved there? And that I then overwrite that file with my tracked changes, but that next time in Trados it does an auto-save (or something else) and suddenly saves my original file back over top of my completed file?

That would mean Trados is using a different saving structure than I am aware of, which is quite possible given my issue. It has seemed bizarre for me to have to save a file, and then later to overwrite that file, simply to get Trados to save my changes. (which I am losing again 15 mins later)

Could you let me know what process you use to save your Trados files with tracked changes?

Before I lost my work, I noticed that suddenly in that folder, the SDL XLIFF file was no longer dated the same as the SDL trados project file (it saves both of these automatically when I save the SDL XLIFF file).

If that is the case, any idea in what folder I would find the copy with tracked changes showing for the files I edited previously? I might be able to recover some of my work.

And it is SDL Trados Studio 2014 SP2.

I am very behind my work now and have a lot of files to go, so any help on how I can keep my work from not being overwritten by the original file would be appreciated.

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:56
English to Spanish
... Jun 19, 2016

Hi vollebregt,

Why don't you make things easier on yourself and simply use "Save" instead of "Save As"?

This way, when you close the file, and open it again to keep working on it, all the tracked changes will be there.

But if you insist on using "Save As", you have to add the newly created file to your project following the standard way, and then you will have access to both files, the original and the copy, unless you create a separate project for the copy, in which case you pretty much would be in the situation I describe above (by simply using "Save"), since the copy would be your work file now.

I still do not understand why you want to work with two parallel files.

Best of luck.

[Edited at 2016-06-19 15:58 GMT]

Australia
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Only using "Save" seems to be working Jun 19, 2016

Thanks Miguel.

I am so used to programs like the other translation software types, Microsoft office suite, Adobe etc. where you open a file, do something with it, and use 'Save As' to keep a copy of the working file in a separate location. Otherwise you end up with your working file landing in the 'Download' folder etc. On top of which, sometimes you wish you create intermediary files, with your work in various stages.

As I understand it now, you have to make sure you copy the original file to a new folder ahead of time (outside of Trados), and then when you work with the file, only ever hit "Save". What about if people want to keep copies of their work in various stages (e.g. when you want to run something across your file and make changes, while keeping a copy of the work you've done so far)?

To be honest I am not sure I understand the process Trados uses with its files. I have looked for an outline of the Trados file structure, but not yet found one that talks directly about that.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio files did not save tracked changes

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search