SDL Trados Studio 2015: ä,ö,ü displayed as ü etc.
Thread poster: Tatj
Jun 21, 2016

Hello,

Maybe someone could help me.
I have a Trados Project of about 37 txt files but unfortunately the Special caracters such as äöü are not displayed coorrectly.

Example:
Für die Beförderung von Personen
„Bestmöglicher Preis“

I once had a similar Problem with html file where the conversion of some entities had to be adjusted in the Project Settings. But in this case I have no similar settings for txt files.
... See more
Hello,

Maybe someone could help me.
I have a Trados Project of about 37 txt files but unfortunately the Special caracters such as äöü are not displayed coorrectly.

Example:
Für die Beförderung von Personen
„Bestmöglicher Preis“

I once had a similar Problem with html file where the conversion of some entities had to be adjusted in the Project Settings. But in this case I have no similar settings for txt files.

Avtually the text can be read but it is neither comfortable working like this nor useful to have such text in the TM.

Thanks in advance for any Suggestion or help.

Kind regards,
Tatjana
Collapse

SDL_Guillaume
SDL_Guillaume
Local time: 18:58
Display of ä, ö, ü in Studio 2015 Jun 22, 2016

Dear Tatjana,

This is Guillaume from SDL.

So I can assist you further, could you send me in a message the 6 digits order number of your Studio 2015 license?

Could you also tell me what is the source and target languages, where does the faulty display occur and finally what are the keyboard language settings on your computer?

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Please try out our SD
... See more
Dear Tatjana,

This is Guillaume from SDL.

So I can assist you further, could you send me in a message the 6 digits order number of your Studio 2015 license?

Could you also tell me what is the source and target languages, where does the faulty display occur and finally what are the keyboard language settings on your computer?

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Please try out our SDL Community portal http://xl8.one
Professionals helping Professionals with all your SDL Studio questions.

Have a question about licensing and installation?
Use our LIVE CHAT facility bit.lySDLChat
Collapse

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:58
German to English
The answer lies in the encoding Jun 22, 2016

Hi Tatjana,

If as you say the file is a txt file, when you open the file in a text editor can you read the special characters correctly? If the answer is yes then all you need to do is to save the file with a UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding. When you open this new file in Studio all of your special characters should be displayed correctly.

Hope that helps.

Ben

Tatj
Tatj
TOPIC STARTER
Thanky you! Jun 22, 2016

Dear Ben, Dear Guillaume,

I actually managed to get a Trados Project with the correct caracters.
I opened Word, then opened the 37 txt files in Word and safed them as docx.
Then I put them in my Trados Project and everything looks fine now. Yeah!

I just hope that I will be able to save them in txt again after translation since the customer needs them back in txt format.

Thanks for your help and best regards,
Tatjana

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:58
English to Spanish
... Jun 22, 2016

Hi Tatjana,

What you can do is translate the first segment that contains some of those characters and save the corresponding file using "Save Target As". Then, open the target file, save it as a TXT file and check whether those characters appear correctly.

That way, at least you will not waste work.

Best of luck.

[Edited at 2016-06-22 16:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2015: ä,ö,ü displayed as ü etc.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »