Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:53
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 23, 2016

I have one question.

Please have a look at the picture - http://i.imgur.com/add9Qai.png .

I do understand the concept of repetitive words and characters, but what about the number of repetitive segments on the snapshot?

As far as I see, if we compare the number of repetitive words and segments, it turns out that almost all of these segments
have only one word.

In other words, what segments are considered to be repetitions? Identical ones?

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:53
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, repetition means identical, however... Jun 26, 2016

Repetition means segments that are identical, but there are some settings in each CAT tool to ignore certain differences, so the definition of identical has some flexibility to it.
From the screenshot it looks like that you have a lot of single-word segments, which is often the case if you are translating user interface items where menu options are often single words. Parts or product lists can be like that, too (you know: screw, bolt, nail, bearing, seal, etc.)

In case you were given this analysis and try to decide how to quote on it, my suggestion is to never accept a job without seeing the actual translatable materials, and running your own analysis in your own CAT-tool that is set up the way you are going to use it.

Katalin

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:53
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The very thought I had Jun 27, 2016

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

From the screenshot it looks like that you have a lot of single-word segments

In case you were given this analysis and try to decide how to quote on it, my suggestion is to never accept a job without seeing the actual translatable materials

Katalin

Yes, I had this thought too that this doc would contain a lot of one-word segments. And yes, a new client of mine sent me the analysis.

Thanks for your opinion. Just another confirmation of my own one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

repetitions - segments (???) or words?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search