Client cannot generate target text
Thread poster: dropinka

dropinka  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 7, 2016

I use SDL Trados Studio 2015, my client has SDL Trados Studio 2014.

I send them both the SDLXLIFF file and the target file (the format is usually Word or PowerPoint). They make changes to the SDLXLIFF but, once they try to 'save target as', they just can't. How is this possible? It's happening more and more often and I don't know what I should do.

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:52
Korean to German
+ ...
Office 2016 maybe? Jul 7, 2016

Could it be that the source files were generated with Office 2016? Studio 2014 doesn't work with Office 2016.

I had some issues when I switched to Office 2016 and suddenly couldn't work with Studio 2014 anymore, so I ended up upgrading to 2015... maybe you're having the same issue, but the other way around?

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office version Jul 7, 2016

Mirja Maletzki wrote:

Could it be that the source files were generated with Office 2016? Studio 2014 doesn't work with Office 2016.

I had some issues when I switched to Office 2016 and suddenly couldn't work with Studio 2014 anymore, so I ended up upgrading to 2015... maybe you're having the same issue, but the other way around?

Where can I see the Office version used to create the source files?
Besides, I've unflagged 'Word 2007-2016' from file types, just to be on the safe side. It must be something else...

[Edited at 2016-07-07 09:07 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 18:52
French to German
+ ...
This is due to the new Word filter Jul 12, 2016

Hi

Studio 2015 uses a new Word filter called "Microsoft Word 2007-2016". If you enable this filter (which is the case by default) and send the resulting SDLXLIFF to someone who uses an older version of Studio, which does not have this filter, this person can translate the SDLXLIFF, but cannot do a preview nor generate the target. This is due to the fact that his Studio does not have the new Word filter that has been used to generate the SDLXLIFF. But if this person returns the SDLXLIFF to you, you can generate the target in Studio 2015 without any problem.

If this happens often, you may work around the problem by disabling the new Word filter in your Studio 2015 or simply by changing the order of precedence. In "Files - Options - File types", move the file type "Microsoft Word 2007-2016" below the file type "Microsoft Word 2007-2013". This will cause Studio to use the older Word filter for .DOCX files.

You may also create a separate project template for this scenario, so that you don't need to change the settings all the time.

Walter

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already disabled Jul 12, 2016

Thank you, Walter. However, I had already disabled the filter and nothing had changed. I'll now try moving it below 'Microsoft Word 2007-2013' while keeping it disabled, although I doubt that it can make a difference. But never say never!

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Disabling the filter is only half of the solution ... Jul 12, 2016

.. you also need afterwards to reopen your source file with the new setting.

Did you do this?

This setting is taking action when you open the source file and Studio converts it to SDLXLIFF. Once you already have the SDLXLIFF, changing the setting will not have any impact unless you reconvert the source file using the new setting.

You can check which file type has been used for the conversion by setting the tag display options (View - Options) to "Tag Id". One you have done this, the orange colored tag at the beginning of the file in the Editor, which normally shows the name of the document, will show the ID of the file type that has been used to convert the source file (thus either "Microsoft Word 2007-2013" or "WordProcessingML v2").

Walter

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translate single document Jul 13, 2016

Walter Blaser wrote:

.. you also need afterwards to reopen your source file with the new setting.

Did you do this?

This setting is taking action when you open the source file and Studio converts it to SDLXLIFF. Once you already have the SDLXLIFF, changing the setting will not have any impact unless you reconvert the source file using the new setting.

What do you mean by 'open the source file and Studio converts it to SDLXLIFF'? I click on 'Translate single document', which means that the new settings won't stay if I perform 'translate single document' again.

[Edited at 2016-07-13 06:25 GMT]

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Yes, this is what I meant ... Jul 14, 2016

... when you click on "Translate single document", you reopen the source document (make sure you select the source document and not the SDLXLIFF) and it gets converted again to SDLXLIFF. During this process, your new settings in "File - Options" will be taken into account.

I just wanted to point out that changing the setting without reconverting the source file would not work.

Walter

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I may be thick... Jul 14, 2016

Walter Blaser wrote:

... when you click on "Translate single document", you reopen the source document (make sure you select the source document and not the SDLXLIFF) and it gets converted again to SDLXLIFF. During this process, your new settings in "File - Options" will be taken into account.

but if I click on 'Translate single document' I get the prompt 'Open existing project file or create new project file?'...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client cannot generate target text

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search