Thread poster: Gabriel Francesch

Gabriel Francesch  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 21:00
English to French
+ ...
Jul 9, 2016

Hi guys,

I have been experiencing an issue with the way accents are displayed in Trados Studio 2011 for quite some time now, but I have not been able to find a fix yet.

The issue is:

- when translating from English to French, the accents do not show properly, they are replaced by random cyrillic letters,
- this happens regardless of the source file or package I import, for example the problem happens even if I create a new project for a simple .txt file, so I don't think the source document or text format is relevant.
- I have tried fiddling with the options under Tools > Editor > Font Adaptation, but I was not able to modify the appearance of the target content, even when selecting the right language under Custom Language Format.
- as a result, I can type my accents and all special characters when translating (é, à, ç... etc...) but they will not display properly. When I create the target file though, the accents and special characters would be just fine.

Probable causes:

- I am not sure which font Trados uses to display the source and target text by default, but maybe that font collection is incomplete on my computer. I have no idea how to complete that font collection or where the library is located, so I would just like to change the display font.
- I had a similar issue with Transit NXT, and changing the display font to Verdana solved the problem easily. That problem occurred after I upgraded my OS from MAC OS X Yosemite to MAC OS X El Capitan, which is why I think the issue is due to Trados not having access to the appropriate font libraries.

What I need:

I do not need to use a particular font. Any common font would do. I just want the option to choose from a list of common fonts the font that will be used to display my target (and accessorily of the source) content. I have been looking at all the options and menu items, and could not find it...

Thank you for your help!

Computer and software set-up:

- MAC OS X El Capitan
- Parallels Desktop 10
- Windows Pro 8.1
- Trados Studio 2011

[Edited at 2016-07-09 11:10 GMT]

SDL_Guillaume
Local time: 15:00
Keyboard settings Jul 11, 2016

Dear Mr Francesh,

This is Guillaume from SDL.

May I ask what are the keyboard settings on your computer? If they are in French (whether it is an Azerty or Qwerty French keyboard), Studio will recognize the accents.

In Windows 8 you can change the keyboard in your Control Panel, but I understand that MAC has its own keyboard settings. I found this online regarding Mac OS X El Capitan: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21564?locale=en_US

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Please try out our SDL Community portal http://xl8.one
Professionals helping Professionals with all your SDL Studio questions.

Have a question about licensing and installation?
Use our LIVE CHAT facility bit.lySDLChat

[Edited at 2016-07-11 09:12 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:00
French to German
+ ...
Studio does not use Mac fonts Jul 12, 2016

Gabriel

As Studio is a Windows program and runs in a VM under Parallels, it uses the fonts installed in Windows and does not care at all about the fonts you have installed on the Mac.

I guess that your problem must be related, as you suggested, to the fact that your Windows installation is missing some default fonts.

You can change the font used by Studio by going to "File - Editor - Font Adaptation". You can choose the font to be used separately for each language.

I suggest you select a font for your target language of which you are sure that it does exist in your Windows and see if that makes a difference.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accents not displaying properly in target content

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search