About bugs in Sdl Trados 2015
Thread poster: gradara
gradara
Italy
Local time: 01:18
German to Italian
Jul 11, 2016

Hi everybody.
I'm just asking a very simple question: before upgrading to SDL Trados 2015 Freelance Plus (from Trados 2011), I would like to know from those of you who are quite familiar with Trados 2015 if this version has dramatic bugs like Trados 2011 (i.e., problems in merging segments, difficulty in getting the preview if you add many comments etc.). Furthermore, what about the quality of conversion for pdf images?

Thank you for your contribution. Any advice is precious for a reasoned decision!

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 01:18
French to German
+ ...
What do you call a bug? Jul 12, 2016

I guess that the judgment whether a bug is "dramatic" or not is very individual. When you say that Studio 2011 has problem merging segments, I assume you mean the fact that one cannot merge segments across "hard returns" (paragraph boundaries). This is not a bug, but a design decision of SDL and this has not changed in Studio 2015.

Having said this, the current Studio 2015 SR2 is very stable and does not have "dramatic" bugs as far as I am aware.

Concerning PDFs, Studio includes an integrated PDF conversion tool, which is customisable. The quality of the output depends - as with any PDF conversion tool - mainly on the type of PDF document. You may need to "clean" the WORD file resulting from the conversion before you start translating it in Studio if you want to have a clean document with not too many tags. But this is not a problem of Studio, but inherent to the conversion of PDFs, which should remain an exception. Remember that PDF is not an editable format, so you should always try to get the editable format that existed before the PDF was created.

Walter

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:18
English to Spanish
... Jul 12, 2016

Walter Blaser wrote:

When you say that Studio 2011 has problem merging segments, I assume you mean the fact that one cannot merge segments across "hard returns" (paragraph boundaries). This is not a bug, but a design decision of SDL and this has not changed in Studio 2015.

There is a nice workaround (I am sure Walter knows it, he clearly being an advanced user), which I learned from Emma Goldsmith (thank you Emma!) some time ago. This workaround has been extremely useful to me many times.

You simply cut the text from the second segment and paste it in the first one, by using the “Edit Source” command for both operations.

Here is the link to Emma's workaround, under Source Segment Editing:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/07/18/sp2/

[Edited at 2016-07-12 19:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About bugs in Sdl Trados 2015

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search