Serena Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:46
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 12, 2016

Hi,
I have to buy a new laptop and I would like to know if Trados 2011 and 2015 is compatible with Open Office. I would not buy a Microsoft Office licence in that case.

Thanks!

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 13:46
French to German
+ ...
Studio can handle Open Office Documents but ... Jul 12, 2016

... the question is rather which document formats you get for translation.

If your customers send you Microsoft Office documents (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, ...) for translation, you will be able to translate them but not to preview them if you don't have Microsoft Office installed on your PC.

The decision whether you need Microsoft Office does basically not depend on your personal needs in terms of creating documents but rather on the requirements of your customers.
... See more
... the question is rather which document formats you get for translation.

If your customers send you Microsoft Office documents (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, ...) for translation, you will be able to translate them but not to preview them if you don't have Microsoft Office installed on your PC.

The decision whether you need Microsoft Office does basically not depend on your personal needs in terms of creating documents but rather on the requirements of your customers.

Walter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility with Open Office

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »