Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:27
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 15, 2016

Dear colleagues

I'm facing the issue of being a disorganized person, in many senses of my life, and that has also affected my Multiterm termbases. Migrating from one PC to another, to another, to another... and having copied my huge termbases in different folders named "Multiterm", has had as a result the repetition of my TB, and I've been using/increasing the termbases from the different folders.
I have the two following folders in My Document:
- Multiterm 2014 (and within this folder, I have another one "Termbases"). Both folders contain TB with the same name!
- SDL

I would like to organize the three folders, and have just one single TB instead of three! I cannot simply delete the "extra" TB, as I have added terms to all of them. Some of my termbases are quite big: over 6500 terms, thus if I import the terms I'm afraid to duplicate the amount of terms (can I use a filter to avoid the duplicate terms?).

Which folder would be the recommended default folder for containing all the termbases?

I'm working with Studio 2015 and Multiterm 2015, the latest upgrades.

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions to organize my TB mess.

Kind regards

Clarisa

Direct link Reply with quote

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:27
English to Russian
Data => Remove duplicates Jul 16, 2016

You can export your TBs to Excel, then merge them all into a new file by simply copying their content one by one so that you have a single list of terms in one file, then use the Remove duplicates command in the Data tab. Then import the resulting file back to Multiterm.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:27
French to German
+ ...
Create a new TB and synchronize the import on term Jul 16, 2016

Clarisa

I would do the following:

1. Create exports of all the TBs that have meaningful content.
2. Create a new termbase with the new structure that you want.
3. Create an import rule with the option "Synchronize on term"
4. Import all your export files using this import rule (synchronizing on your main language).
5. Reorganize the termbase (or check the option "Reorganize" on Import).

This will give you a fresh TB with no duplicates because it will merge the various entries for the same term (in the language you specified).

Walter

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:27
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Synchronized termbases! Jul 19, 2016

Dear colleagues:

I managed to unify my termbases following Walter's instructions! Thanks

Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to organize duplicated termbases

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search