Trados Studio 2014 and MultiTerm 2014: term recognition not working with all terms
Thread poster: Angela Malik
Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:45
German to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2016

I'm using Studio 2014 and MultiTerm 2014 on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine.

I created the termbase I'm using from scratch in MultiTerm Desktop, and then added the empty termbase to the project I'm currently working on. As I translate, I am adding terms to the termbase.

I've noticed that if I use the 'Add New Term' function (CTRL+F2), term recognition works fine with that particular term. But if I use the 'Quick Add New Term' function (CTRL+Shift+F2), the term IS added to th
... See more
I'm using Studio 2014 and MultiTerm 2014 on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine.

I created the termbase I'm using from scratch in MultiTerm Desktop, and then added the empty termbase to the project I'm currently working on. As I translate, I am adding terms to the termbase.

I've noticed that if I use the 'Add New Term' function (CTRL+F2), term recognition works fine with that particular term. But if I use the 'Quick Add New Term' function (CTRL+Shift+F2), the term IS added to the termbase but doesn't show up in term recognition -- not now and not later.

Term recognition appears to be working normally otherwise. For example, in the same translation unit I may have some terms that I added using the 'Add New Term' function and also terms that I added using the 'Quick Add New Term' function. The only terms which are not detected and shown in the Term Recognition window are the ones I added with the Quick function. The others do appear.

Even if I close Trados completely and reopen it, those terms which I added using the 'Quick Add New Term' function do not appear in the term recognition window, although they are definitely in the termbase and I can find them both in the Termbase Viewer and Termbase Search windows.

Is this a bug? How can I get term recognition to recognise the terms I added using the Quick function?

UPDATE: not a Quick Add problem

Sorry I got the wrong end of the stick. I just tested it again and realised that the Quick Add function DOES work with term recognition.

Weirdly though, term recognition is not working with all of the terms in the termbase. For some dumb reason, the author of my source text is using lots of hyphenated nouns, and because the job is huge and I'm really only creating the termbase for this job, I am adding the terms exactly as the author tends to write them so that term recognition picks them up.

Some of the hyphenated nouns are being detected just fine. But some are not. Anyone have an idea why? It's not because the terms are too short to be recognised -- these are German nouns and even the separate parts of the hyphenated words are long.

Case in point: 'Elementar-Versicherung' is not being detected, but 'Haftpflicht-Versicherung' IS being detected.

[Edited at 2016-07-17 10:07 GMT]
Collapse

Angela Malik
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Original post and title updated to reflect true situation Jul 17, 2016

Sorry, made a mistake and corrected it in the original post.

[Edited at 2016-07-17 10:08 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 06:45
Limits of fuzzy matching Jul 17, 2016

Angela Rimmer wrote:

Case in point: 'Elementar-Versicherung' is not being detected, but 'Haftpflicht-Versicherung' IS being detected.

I'm just curious: Are 'Elementar-Versicherung' and 'Haftpflicht-Versicherung' recognised when the 'correct' forms 'Elementarversicherung' and 'Haftpflichtversicherung' are in your termbase?

In my daily work as a technical translator with German as a source language, these hip-ster Spelling-Forms are limiting my productivity.

Things are getting really complicated when the Komposita get longer. The number of spelling variants increase with the length of the nouns:

Haftpflichtversicherungsträger
Haftpflichtversicherungs-Träger
Haftpflicht-Versicherungsträger
Haftpflicht-Versicherungs-Träger
etc.

I guess that this problem won't be limited to German only.

[Edited at 2016-07-17 11:01 GMT]

Angela Malik
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great minds think alike Jul 17, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

I'm just curious: Are 'Elementar-Versicherung' and 'Haftpflicht-Versicherung' recognised when the 'correct' forms 'Elementarversicherung' and 'Haftpflichtversicherung' are in your termbase?

I had the same thought as you and tried it both ways already. The answer: no, "Elementarversicherung" is not detected. And if I remove the hyphen in "Haftpflicht-Versicherung" then it stops being detected, too.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 06:45
No solution yet. Jul 17, 2016

Angela Rimmer wrote:

I had the same thought as you and tried it both ways already. The answer: no, "Elementarversicherung" is not detected. And if I remove the hyphen in "Haftpflicht-Versicherung" then it stops being detected, too.

I'm struggling (more or less) with this problem since ages. Until now, I haven't found one single CAT tool that can deal with this clearly crazy develop-ment in natural language (as in 'language that is being written in real life').

From a normative point of view, these spellings are simply wrong. Of course, I can understand why writers use them–but standardisation does have its benefits .

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 and MultiTerm 2014: term recognition not working with all terms

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »