Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Word doc generated with SDL won't open
Thread poster: Daniel Bouchard
Daniel Bouchard
Daniel Bouchard
Local time: 23:57
English to French
Jul 18, 2016

In SDL Freelance Plus 2015, I create the Word file no problem, but when trying to open it, it says "We're sorry. We can't open "File name" because we found a problem with its content". When I click on "Details >>>", it says no error detail available. I am translating a file with hidden text, i.e. with Trados tags on segment ends. Not the first time I've done it, but first time encountering this issue.

Ulrich Schramm

Daniel Bouchard
Daniel Bouchard
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
New error message Jul 18, 2016

Now I get:

Xml parsing error

Ulrich Schramm

Clay Suddath
Clay Suddath  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:57
French to English
+ ...
Thread poster: Daniel Bouchard Word doc generated with SDL won't open Jul 18, 2016

Wish I could help. I can only concur that I've been having the same problem since I upgraded. Fortunately, I work with some comprehensive PMs.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who has found a solution.

Ulrich Schramm

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Check the tags Jul 18, 2016

Daniel Bouchard wrote:

In SDL Freelance Plus 2015, I create the Word file no problem, but when trying to open it, it says "We're sorry. We can't open "File name" because we found a problem with its content". When I click on "Details >>>", it says no error detail available. I am translating a file with hidden text, i.e. with Trados tags on segment ends. Not the first time I've done it, but first time encountering this issue.

Did you press F8 to check all tags?

Daniel Bouchard
Daniel Bouchard
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
F8 Jul 18, 2016

First thing I did when first noticing the issue, but to no avail. Even tried generating a new translation with only the first few words translated, no segments with tags, and same problem occurs.

Ulrich Schramm

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Change format? Jul 18, 2016

Try reimporting the file in different formats, for example, as an rtf or docx file.

Ulrich Schramm

Daniel Bouchard
Daniel Bouchard
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Format Jul 19, 2016

I tried... with .rtf SDL says it does support it (weird), and no results with a couple of others

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Are all tags in place and in the right place? Jul 19, 2016

Daniel Bouchard wrote:

My first impression is that it could be a code proble - tags either in the wrong place or in the wrong order. The first thing I would do in such an instance would be to run a Verify test.

If that doesn't solve it, I would try creating a text only document with just the text that is to be translated, and then copy the translation back into the source document. If that doesn't solve it, it sounds like a very strange problem. I am running the latest version of Studio 2015, and no problems, so I would think it must be some problem with the file in question.

SDL_ Thomas (X)
SDL_ Thomas (X)
Germany
Word doc generated with SDL won't open Jul 19, 2016

Dear Daniel,

thank you for post on proz.com

In your original post, you mention that you ,created` a Word document in Studio 2015!
Could you explain in more detail what you meant as you cannot create Word documents in Studio- only export to the original format.
Could you let me know what the original file format was please as a seperate word conversion from a different format is also not possible.
It would be great if you could send me the file if at al
... See more
Dear Daniel,

thank you for post on proz.com

In your original post, you mention that you ,created` a Word document in Studio 2015!
Could you explain in more detail what you meant as you cannot create Word documents in Studio- only export to the original format.
Could you let me know what the original file format was please as a seperate word conversion from a different format is also not possible.
It would be great if you could send me the file if at all possible.

KR

SDL_Thomas
Collapse

Daniel Bouchard
Daniel Bouchard
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Format Jul 19, 2016

I meant I created a Word file (latest version) with SDL Studio (latest version), but when I try to open the created file (translation), it fails to open, with the aforementioned error message.

Verify done, but problem persists.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
What is the original format of the file that you imported into Studio? Jul 19, 2016

Daniel Bouchard wrote:

I meant I created a Word file (latest version) with SDL Studio (latest version), but when I try to open the created file (translation), it fails to open, with the aforementioned error message.

Verify done, but problem persists.

It sounds to some of us that you first importet a document in a different format than Word into SDL, and that you now are trying to export it as Word. As Studio is not meant to be used that way (and I cannot quite see how you would do that), some of us are somewhat puzzled by what you do.

Are you perhaps importing a pdf document and then trying to export it as a Word document? If you are, my advice would be to create a Word document from the pdf with either Abbyy or Omnipage Pro, ensuring that the resulting Word document has a nice format without too many codes. Then hopefully you will be able to dowhat you are trying to accomplish.

[Edited at 2016-07-19 16:50 GMT]

Daniel Bouchard
Daniel Bouchard
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jul 19, 2016

No, I imported a .docx file and SDL-created a translated .docx file.

On the upside, I get a pretty decent (thought not perfect, but definitely workable) copy when opening the SDL-generated file in Wordpad.

Ulrich Schramm

SDL_ Thomas (X)
SDL_ Thomas (X)
Germany
Update Jul 20, 2016

Hi Daniel,

When you import ay file type this is by default converted to SDLXLIFF (working format).
This remains so until you have finished the project and want to EXport (SAVE) AS Source

Therefore if you are having issues i would suggest the error is either generated because of the Office fversion (must be 2007 or higher) or their is an issue with the orignal file-
"We're sorry. We can't open "File name" because we found a problem with its content"
Thi
... See more
Hi Daniel,

When you import ay file type this is by default converted to SDLXLIFF (working format).
This remains so until you have finished the project and want to EXport (SAVE) AS Source

Therefore if you are having issues i would suggest the error is either generated because of the Office fversion (must be 2007 or higher) or their is an issue with the orignal file-
"We're sorry. We can't open "File name" because we found a problem with its content"
This woulde be highlighed by the fact that you are able to open in Wordpad.

Are you able to send me the file? If not please go to our SDL community

www.xl8.one

-where you are sure to find the advice you need.

Kr

SDL_Thomas
Collapse

Daniel Bouchard
Daniel Bouchard
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Issue resolved! Jul 21, 2016

A colleague of mine resolved the issue. To anyone interested, she proceeded in the following way (see SDL KB#4802):
http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4802.html

A millions thanks for all your help everyone!

Anastasiya Rusova
Anastasiya Rusova  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to Russian
+ ...
The link does not work May 19, 2017

Hi Daniel,
Could you please explain the solution here?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word doc generated with SDL won't open

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »