Thread poster: Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:35
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Jul 21, 2016

I used the 'file export for external review' facility in Trados 2014 to assign a file to a colleague for review. I realized that the 'update from external review' works only under "ideal" conditions. To give an example it throws an error if the reviewer used a hard return instead of a soft one. What if the translated text indeed requires a hard return? Besides, it needs to have the review file with the track changes "ON" and the changes should NOT be accepted, I am curious to know the rationale ... See more
I used the 'file export for external review' facility in Trados 2014 to assign a file to a colleague for review. I realized that the 'update from external review' works only under "ideal" conditions. To give an example it throws an error if the reviewer used a hard return instead of a soft one. What if the translated text indeed requires a hard return? Besides, it needs to have the review file with the track changes "ON" and the changes should NOT be accepted, I am curious to know the rationale behind that. Is it possible to override these conditions?

The reviewer may not be a Trados user and unaware of the care to be taken while working on such files. This also means that the translator has to spend extra time in reviewing a reviewed file for any "technical" shortcomings that the file may have before he attempts to update.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

-Umang
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 11:05
French to German
+ ...
Track change mode should be obvious Jul 21, 2016

Umlang

I guess it is obvious why it is required that the reviewer enables the "Track Changes" mode. If he wouldn't do it, how would Studio know what changes he made?

Concerning the hard return, please be aware that you cannot type a hard return inside a segment in Studio's Editor, so this explains why it gives problems when a reviewed document contains such a hard return.

Keep in mind that this function is a kind of workaround to allow reviewers who don't h
... See more
Umlang

I guess it is obvious why it is required that the reviewer enables the "Track Changes" mode. If he wouldn't do it, how would Studio know what changes he made?

Concerning the hard return, please be aware that you cannot type a hard return inside a segment in Studio's Editor, so this explains why it gives problems when a reviewed document contains such a hard return.

Keep in mind that this function is a kind of workaround to allow reviewers who don't have Studio to review a translated document. I agree that it has some restrictions, but I still believe that it is a very good solution compared to the alternative of having to retype all corrections in Studio. And once you know the few caveats, it works fine.

Walter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reviewed file update is difficult/cumbersome

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »