Thread poster: Lori Larsen-Hoff

Lori Larsen-Hoff  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:28
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2005

after finishing a segment, i hit set close next open get....nothing happens and in workbench i get an error message saying that openclipboard failed. I'm new to this and surely I am just overlooking something but would appreciate the help!

[Edited at 2005-03-15 22:38]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details...? Mar 15, 2005

Hi Lori,
Help us to help you by providing some more details:

- Which Trados version are you using (full version number, please - go to Help - About... to find out)?
- Which Word version are you using, and under which operating system?
- What is the exact error message? Is there an error number?

Best regards,
Ralf

Belgium
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the error message is -214722 OpenClipboardFailed Mar 15, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Lori,
Help us to help you by providing some more details:

- Which Trados version are you using (full version number, please - go to Help - About... to find out)?
- Which Word version are you using, and under which operating system?
- What is the exact error message? Is there an error number?

Best regards,
Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
System details Mar 15, 2005

Lori,
Thanks for sending your system parameters in a private message. However, as I pointed out in my response, it's essential to keep the discussion in this forum, for several reasons:

- Numerous members are here to help you.
- Communications remain at a central place.
- Others who may encounter a similar problem will be able to benefit from answers and solutions provided.

Hence, I'm afraid I'm unable to deal with direct inquiries via my profile unless specifically requested.

...quoting your e-mail:

It's 6.5 LSP, running on server 2003, word 2003

As requested above, can you please indicate the full version number of the Trados software? (Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to be petty here, but the 'build number' will indicate exactly which version you're using. We're now counting the fifth version of T6.5 (builds 406 (6.5.1), 417/419 (6.5.2) and 438/439 (6.5.5). Which one is it?

Have you tried the Repair document command (Trados menu in Word)?

Also, a server environment is unusual for a Trados installation - does the same error occur on a workstation (e.g. under Win XP)? This article from the Microsoft Knowledge Base would indicate that the error message is not Trados-specific, but occurs on an OS level. Does the clipboard work with other applications?

Best regards,
Ralf

Belgium
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
here is the information on the build of trados Mar 15, 2005

Translators Workbench 6.0.0.309 Build 310

Germany
English to German
+ ...
That would explain problems Mar 16, 2005

....although not necessarily the exact error message quoted here.

Translators Workbench 6.0.0.309 Build 310

Now that's something else. T6.0.x does not support Office 2003; you will either need to use Office XP (or lower), or upgrade to T6.5.

Given your initial indication that you're using 6.5, however, I wonder whether you have two parallel installations on your machine (which isn't a very good idea, particularly in conjunction with 6.0...). If that's the case, you should register 6.5 (Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 - Register Trados 6.5).

Best regards,
Ralf

Belgium
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only Installation Trados LSP 6.0 Mar 18, 2005

So I can only find documentation in the PDF documents in Trados that I need Word 97 or later, so 2003 is not supported? Great. It worked for the past few days just fine, and then this morning I'm getting the -2147221040 error message OpenClipboard Failed for all documents I try to edit.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
You need T6.5.x to work with Office 2003 Mar 18, 2005

Hi again,
So I can only find documentation in the PDF documents in Trados that I need Word 97 or later, so 2003 is not supported?

Correct. IIRC Office 2003 had not been released when T6.0 came out - that's why you won't find any reference to it.

Great. It worked for the past few days just fine, and then this morning I'm getting the -2147221040 error message OpenClipboard Failed for all documents I try to edit.

As I said before, I'm not sure if this is really a Trados issue. The fact that Office 2003 is not supported by T6.0.x does not mean it will not work at all - it's just that (i) the Word macro language (which Trados uses to interface with Word) was changed between Office XP and 2003; and (ii) Office 2003 contains functions which are not supported by Office-XP-compliant applications.

Best regards,
Ralf

Belgium
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help. Mar 18, 2005

Herzlichen Dank Ralf!! I've lit a fire under my VP of operations to get me 6.5. To remedy the problem I've installed word 2000. That seems to have done the trick!

German Trentini  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:28
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
same problem different trados version Jan 8, 2006

Hi I'm having the same problem described here (error in open clipboard 2147221040) but my version of trados is 6.5.1.406 (build 406) and I' ve got windows xp.
Can I fix it?

cleverclog
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Error Sep 1, 2008

Fortunately, this is not that serious, I think. In my case it was enough to empty the clipboard.

cleverclog
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
One more solution Sep 2, 2008

One more thing that came to my mind is that you have some other programmes running that react to clipboard (e.g. dictionaries) Close all the programmes or turn off the clipboard option and everything will be O.K.

Aime Banyiyezako
English to French
+ ...
open clipboard 2147221040 message Aug 7, 2010

Hi,
I am using Trados 6.5 in parallels desktop.
Everything was going well and all of a sudden, this message kept appearing open clipboard 2147221040.
I have tried everything (i think): repairing word, trados (fix document), uninstalling/reinstalling word, deleting clipboard items in the registry, eveything.
Does anyone have a fix? Or maybe I have missed the topic with the solution.
Thanks a lot.

Aimepac

Christiane Focking  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
reinstall Parallels Tools Aug 24, 2010

Hi Aimepac,

I had the same problem, reinstalled the Parallels Tools and now everything is working again.

Good luck!
Christiane

Christian Schoenberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:28
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
Clipboard error Oct 3, 2010

I had the same problem with Win XP, latest service patch etc. MS Word 2003, Workbench 8.0.0.822 (SDL Trados 2007) for about twelve months.

The way I seem to have resolved it (so far and knocking on wood) is by NOT opening up Excel or other Microsoft applications that utilize the clipboard function (i.e. other than MS Word). Anyway, see if that works - I'd be interested to see if that helps.

Best,
Christian

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's Workbench Stuck in Word

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search