In Studio 2014, how can I get the already translated words in left column moved to right column?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 27, 2016

In Studio 2014, how can I get the already translated words in left column moved to right column?

I have a big project on 100,000 words, and in the XML file I just received the translated words (1 third) are mixed together with the untranslated words (2 thirds) in the same column (left column in the editor view in Studio). So now I have to copy these translated words into the right column, and because there are 34,000 of them it would take long time to do that. Isn't there any more practical way to do this? Perhaps change settings so I get source copied to target before opening the file? Then I just need to delete the untranslated words with ALT + DEL.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:53
German to English
Copy source to target when creating project Jul 27, 2016

In project settings you can elect to copy source to target when creating the project.

But if the translated segments are only a third of the total wouldn't it be better not to copy source to target, but to use CTRL + INS to copy the source to the target column when you find a translated segment?

Ben

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 06:53
English to French
+ ...
Another idea Jul 27, 2016

Ben, your solution will create a translation memory with hundreds of false segments with identical equivalents both in the source and target language, a real mess! Unless you don't use that memory in the future.
Frederik, in the left column, leave the segments in the target language as they are, and translate the rest; then when you convert the whole thing into the original format (target language), the sentences you left untranslated will appear again in the right place among those you have translated. This should work fine with Word at least.
Otherwise I think you should talk to your client, maybe they have a bilingual partly translated file that you could put in your system before you start working.
Jean-Pierre

[Modifié le 2016-07-27 23:41 GMT]

[Modifié le 2016-07-27 23:41 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Copying segments from source to target doesn't change a TM Jul 28, 2016

Jean-Pierre Artigau wrote:

Ben, your solution will create a translation memory with hundreds of false segments with identical equivalents both in the source and target language, a real mess! Unless you don't use that memory in the future.

No, when you copy or transfer source segments to the target side, they're not added to your translation memory.

Frederik, in the left column, leave the segments in the target language as they are, and translate the rest; then when you convert the whole thing into the original format (target language), the sentences you left untranslated will appear again in the right place among those you have translated. This should work fine with Word at least.

Yes, this should work fine with all file types. The progress bar at the bottom of the screen will never reach 100%, of course, but you'll still get an accurate idea of the number of words you've actually translated.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copy source to target but don't confirm the already translated words Aug 1, 2016

So shouldn't I choose to copy source to target to get everything copied from left to right column (untranslated source language segments mixed with translated target language segments)? And then, I just leave the translated target language segments as they are and don't confirm them (only confirm untranslated source language segments after I have translated them in the right column)?

This way, I don't need to waste time on inserting all the already translated segments and I keep the TM clean.

I will try first though to save the target file and then see if the unconfirmed segments are printed out also for XML files.

[Edited at 2016-08-01 15:56 GMT]

For some reason though Studio didn't copy source to target even though in Options the checkbox for copying source to target upon opening the document is checked.

[Edited at 2016-08-01 17:14 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Just leave the target segments empty. Aug 1, 2016

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

So shouldn't I choose to copy source to target to get everything copied from left to right column (untranslated source language segments mixed with translated target language segments)?

You don't really need to copy source to target at all. Any empty target segments will be replaced by source content when you save your target language file.

For some reason though Studio didn't copy source to target even though in Options the checkbox for copying source to target upon opening the document is checked.

[Edited at 2016-08-01 16:21 GMT]

For this option to take effect, you need to reprocess your project (i.e. recreate the bilingual sdlxliff file).

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do I have to rename the XML file? Aug 2, 2016

Thanks Emma, that clarifies everything. I think I just skip the re-processing because I don't need the target segments transferred to the right column anyway.

But for saving target as I need a dependency file, which I am asked for. I received one from the customer now, the original XML file. But it's named differently to what the file name is when Studio asks for a dependency file. So I wonder if I need to rename this original XML file (other than simply right-clicking on it and rename)?

What I mean is whether I need to open the file in Notepad++ and locate the current file name there and change it to the same file name as Studio asks for for a dependency file as Studio calls it?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another important aspect concerning the TM and hits for 1/3 repetitions Aug 4, 2016

The big problem now is that there are 34,000 repetitions that I need to get hits for during the process of translation so that I don't need to translate each repetition as a new word each time. But I can't figure out how to solve this, because the mixture of source language words and target language words in the left source column in Studio makes it impossible to commit these repetitions to the TM.

I found out that I just need to use Excel to view the cleaned XML file. But the problem now is the mix of English and Swedish in the left source column in Studio. I compared my version of the cleaned XML file with a Romanian example the customer sent to me, and they differ. This is how it's displayed in my cleaned XML file when not having done any translation yet in Studio:

Mall Certificate Presentkort för galleria
Mall Certificate Presentkort för galleria

In Studio's editor view, it's displayed like this in the left source column:

Mall Certificate
Presentkort för galleria

In the Romanian XML file example, it's displayed like this:

Mall Certificate Certificat de mall

So the Romanian translator somehow has gotten rid of the duplicate row in the cleaned XML file.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Extract the translated words and create a TM? Aug 4, 2016

Would it be possible somehow to extract the pairs (source and translation) in the left column and create a TM of them?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Delete rows in editor view in Studio? Aug 4, 2016

Or is it possible to delete rows in Studio's editor view?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search