Extracting source document from Studio package (Studio 2014)
Thread poster: Jacques DP

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 10:23
Member (2003)
English to French
Aug 5, 2016

Hi there,

I'm probably missing something obvious, but how can I extract the source document from a Studio package? Surely this must be possible since I can generate the target document and I have all the source document content in the bilingual file.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nuria Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
File menu Aug 5, 2016

In the File menu, you may have an option entitled "Advanced save" (or similar... sorry I use Studio in my native Spanish).
Inside, three options are available; "Save all", "Save a copy as" & "Save source file" (again, titles are only tentative...)

The 'Save source file' gave you a copy of the source document.

Hope it helps

Nuria

Please, see an image here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5202369/Captura.PNG

[Editado a las 2016-08-05 09:58 GMT]

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but... Aug 5, 2016

Thanks. I don't know how I missed this, since I did look in this menu. Sometimes we get stuck by missing obvious things.

However, now that I have tried to do this, I get an error that says: "Failed to save source content" and then (in French this time) that it can't create an already existing file. I'm saving the file in a folder where there is no such file yet. It's an XML file.

sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:23
Member (2015)
a couple of articles from our Knowledge Base Aug 5, 2016

Hi Jacques,

Unfortunately I was not able to find your SDL account. If you could give me a six digit order number for your Studio 2014 license so I can assist you further?

Nevertheless it appears that the issue you have, comes from the file itself. I found a couple of articles in our Knowledge Base system which could help you. Although they refer to "Save Target As", resolutions provided may still be adaptable in your situation as well.

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4888

http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3309

Hope it helps,

SDL_Roman

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
No Aug 5, 2016

Hi Roman,

Your links are unrelated to my problem. The symptoms are different, and the first link is specifically about Word files, while I said my file was an XML file.

So to be honest, no, it didn't help me and only cost me more time. By now I have given up on this anyway.

I find the bit about my Studio license rather curious. Did you make a deal with ProZ by which you now own this forum and posting on it is the same as writing to your support, in such a way that you are entitled to request the license number from people asking questions?

I'm primarily addressing my colleagues here. We're a community of translators. If you want to contribute, that can certainly be useful (though it was not in this case), but it's not a SDL corporate website unless I missed something.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:23
Member (2008)
French to English
Source folder? Aug 5, 2016

Usually when you open a package, if you look in the folders Studio creates you will find a source folder and a target folder. The source document should be in the source folder.

Of course, if it's a bilingual file you are translating there may not be a source file.

sdl_roman wrote:

Unfortunately I was not able to find your SDL account. If you could give me a six digit order number for your Studio 2014 license so I can assist you further?

The request for the SDL account details is puzzling. Account questions would appear to be unrelated to the topic question and would be confidential information, not to be expected in a public forum.

[Edited at 2016-08-05 19:30 GMT]

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 6, 2016

Thanks John, I believe the source folder (named with the language code) is present when you create a package from the source files, but in this case I received the package from the client, and there is no source folder.

Totally agree on the SDL account thing!

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
A project package does not contain the source document Aug 7, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

Usually when you open a package, if you look in the folders Studio creates you will find a source folder and a target folder. The source document should be in the source folder.

Hi John and Jacques

It is correct that a project package contains a source folder (as well as a target folder for each target language), but unfortunately the source folder contains only the SDLXLIFF and not the source document (as opposed to the project folder, which does).

This means that to get the source document, you need to use the "Save Source as" under "File - Advanced Save", as Nuria pointed out.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting source document from Studio package (Studio 2014)

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search