Thread poster: Karina Garcia Pedroche

Karina Garcia Pedroche  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 7, 2016

Hi all,

Can any of you tell me how to add a return, and soft return too, if you can, within a Trados segment?

Regards,

Karina

[Edited at 2016-08-07 06:39 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:12
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't know the answer Aug 7, 2016

But my question is: why do you want to do that?

If there is any unusual spacing in the source, I always copy it from there to the target make sure that I have the exact same spacing as the source.
(Toggle F6 to go back and forth between source and target.)

Spacing may also depend on the width of the columns. I usually drag my target column a little wider (drag center bar to the left), just because my target language usually takes up more space than the source.

I hope this helps.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use MT Aug 7, 2016

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

But my question is: why do you want to do that?

If there is any unusual spacing in the source, I always copy it from there to the target make sure that I have the exact same spacing as the source.
(Toggle F6 to go back and forth between source and target.)

Spacing may also depend on the width of the columns. I usually drag my target column a little wider (drag center bar to the left), just because my target language usually takes up more space than the source.

I hope this helps.

Because I use Machine Translation, which erases the original format. I am copying the MT translations to MS Word, then copy source to target, and overwrite it with the final translations, which takes more time. I'd need to use the MT in the right format, so that I'd just have to post-edit the text in the target segment.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:12
French to German
+ ...
You can add line returns Aug 7, 2016

Karina

You can add a line return (soft return) ay hitting SHIFT-Enter.

However, you can't add a hard return, because this would be a new paragraph and would give a conflict when recreating the target because it changes the structure of the source file.

Walter

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Why don't you use MT directly in Studio? Aug 7, 2016

Karina Garcia Pedroche wrote:

Because I use Machine Translation, which erases the original format. I am copying the MT translations to MS Word, then copy source to target, and overwrite it with the final translations, which takes more time. I'd need to use the MT in the right format, so that I'd just have to post-edit the text in the target segment.

Karina

Why do you copy the MT translations to Word? Why don't you use MT directly inside Studio after having opened the source document?
Sounds unnecessarily complicated to me.

And, BTW, adding a hard return should only be required in the cases where you have more than one sentence in a segment, which should bot be very frequent.

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2016-08-07 09:59 GMT]

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To keep the format Aug 7, 2016

Walter Blaser wrote:

Karina Garcia Pedroche wrote:

Karina

Why do you copy the MT translations to Word? Why don't you use MT directly inside Studio after having opened the source document?
Sounds unnecessarily complicated to me.

And, BTW, adding a hard return should only be required in the cases where you have more than one sentence in a segment, which should bot be very frequent.

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2016-08-07 09:59 GMT]

As I didn't know how to use the soft return within the segment, I had to paste the MT in a Word, and place it back to the target with the right format. The MT didn't respect the original format.

Thank you for your help!

[Edited at 2016-08-07 20:48 GMT]

IanDhu  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Insert placeholders for problem formatting Aug 10, 2016

When I find difficulties of the kind you describe,

I make an entry on the notes & queries sheet for the client and reviser, and

I enter a placeholder between square brackets or braces ([] or {}), and, if possible,

I edit the target-format document as necessary.

I have a standard table for queries and comments.

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - translator 41189)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Return within Trados segment

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search