How should I make best use of SDL Trados in cooperation with a person I outsource jobs to?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 9, 2016

I've decided to outsource some of the work I receive from a customer since 3 years back, and informed my customer of this so that I will be able to take on all jobs she sends to me.

The problem is how to get it to work using SDL Trados Studio. I have Studio freelance and the person I will outsource to would use Studio Starter. But my current TM is larger than 50,000 words so unless I create a package my partner can't use the whole TM. And as I only have freelance edition of Studio I can't create a package.

Is there any way to handle this? For example, would it be possible to divide the TM into several smaller and my partner keeps several TMs opened at the same time?

Direct link Reply with quote

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:33
Italian to English
couldn't you simply Aug 9, 2016

couldn't you simply create your project and then add the xliff files and the TM (and possibl a TermBase, too) in a zip file and send them to your partner who could then open the xliff for translation and apply the TM and TB?

It's not as efficient as a true and proper package but it should work

Or maybe you could create a project,making certain that the TM is in the project folder and then create a zip and place in it the entire folder (with all the project folders i.e. source, target, Tm, project). When your partner unzips, everything would be there

Eileen

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is a limitation in Studio Starter Aug 9, 2016

I think the catch is that immediately when my partner opens the project/the files/the TM, there is the limitation that he can only view maximum 50,000 words in the TM:

http://www.sdl.com/cxc/language/translation-productivity/trados-studio/editions.html

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:33
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Pretranslate the text Aug 9, 2016

You could pretranslate the text yourself with a low fuzzy threshold so that fuzzy matches and 100% matches from your TM get inserted in the target segments of the sdlxliff.
Then send the sdlxliff to your partner to translate.

There are all sorts of drawbacks - your partner will have no concordance (because of the missing TM), no termbase feature, etc.
So my next suggestion is to encourage your partner to get the Freelance version, or buy the Professional version yourself.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should I make best use of SDL Trados in cooperation with a person I outsource jobs to?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search