[SOLVED] How to import an Excel *xlsx file to be processed as a Bilingual Excel file?
Thread poster: MikeTrans
MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 18:03
Italian to German
+ ...
Aug 14, 2016

Hello,
I have saved a tab-delimited UTF-8 text file into an Excel 2013 *.xlsx file. If I chose to import this file in a Trados 2015 project, the file will be processed as a normal Excel file, but I want it to be processed with the 'Bilingual Excel file" File Type of Studio. How do I achieve this?

Thank you,
Mike

[EDIT]
It's in the project settings, the checkboxes...

[Edited at 2016-08-14 14:38 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:03
English to Russian
Uncheck Excel boxes Aug 14, 2016

If the Excel tab delimited filter is below the "normal" Excel in the list, you need to move the tab-delimited file type above the normal excel, or uncheck the latter. I prefer unchecking. This will leave no choice for Trados but to process it as bilingual excel.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 18:03
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Stepan, Aug 14, 2016

in fact that's what I figured out.
I must say that I've never made any setting changes in the File Types because the default settings have always worked for me.
The Bilingual Excel type is very useful for maintain operations (also of TM content) or to exactly keep the segmentation of a source text. I had problems with truncated - or not imported text - with the Tab-delimited Text file type (Studio 2015).

Greets,
Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[SOLVED] How to import an Excel *xlsx file to be processed as a Bilingual Excel file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »