Word has stopped working
Thread poster: Jo Macdonald

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:43
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2016

Hi folks,
When launching and closing Studio I'm getting a "Microsoft Word has stopped working" error message.
This causes Studio to freeze for a while.

I've tried repairing MS Office, no change.
I've tried using the other spell checker, no change.
I get the same problem with both Studio 2015 and Studio 2014.
I get no error messages when opening a Word file in Word.
The Word spell checker seems to be working in Studio.
I'm using Windows 10 and Office 2010.
Windows, Office and Studio are regularly updated.

I've been getting this error message with Studio 2014 for a few days now. I installed Studio 2015 yesterday and I'm getting the same error message with 2015 so methinks it's not a problem with the Studio installations as both behave the same way.

Any ideas?


[Edited at 2016-08-15 08:58 GMT]


 

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:43
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Word has stopped working Aug 15, 2016

Hi Jo,

I would suggest closing all running applications and then locate your Antivirus program, then disable - RUN your Windows/Office update ( source of many issues- running out of date definitions).
Once (ALL) the updates have been completed, then try running Office once again (before restarting the AV program).
If as I suspect- this runs fine, then you can re-enable your AV and see if everything now runs smoothly again.

Kr

SDL _Steve


 

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:43
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No dice Aug 15, 2016

Many thanks for your help Steve.

I turned off Defender Real-time protection, ran the Windows/Office Update. The only update was antivirus definitions.
I ran Word (no problems).
I ran Studio and I'm still getting "Word has stopped working" error messages on startup when Studio is about halfway through "Initializing views", Studio freezes for a while then seems to sort itself out and opens, and again gives the "Word has stopped working" error when closing Studio.
I turned real-time protection back on again.

I've also tried disabling Word Add-ons one at a time, and adding an exception to Defender for C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio4 and C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14, no change.


[Edited at 2016-08-15 11:16 GMT]


 

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:43
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Word has stopped working Aug 15, 2016

Ok,

Can you then please disable once more the AV and then run the Studio update as administrator please (right click).

Kr

SDL_Steve


 

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:43
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no dice Aug 15, 2016

SDL_Steve wrote:

Ok,

Can you then please disable once more the AV and then run the Studio update as administrator please (right click).

Kr

SDL_Steve


Hi Steve,
OK, I disabled real-time protection and ran "Check for updates" as administrator by right clicking on the Check for updates icon in the SDL program group. After checking, got the "No updates have been released for this product" pop-up window. Still getting "Word has stopped working" messages.


 

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:43
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No error message with Office uninstalled Aug 15, 2016

OK
I uninstalled office 2010 and can open and close Studio with no error messages.

After reinstalling Office, the first time I open Studio I get no error messages. Hunspell checker is activated.
As soon as I activate the MS Word spell checker I start getting the error messages again and Studio starts freezing when launching and closing.


 

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:43
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Office errors. Aug 15, 2016

Ok Jo,

Im stumped on this- Its obviously not a Studio issue and as you have run ALL the updates it still appears there is an issue (which I still think will be AV related...)
Please log a free support ticket so that we can have a closer look at this for you.

Kr

SDL_Steve


 

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:43
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Willdo Aug 15, 2016

Thanks Steve


[Edited at 2016-08-15 15:23 GMT]


 

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:43
English to German
+ ...
Workaround Aug 15, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:

OK
I uninstalled office 2010 and can open and close Studio with no error messages.

After reinstalling Office, the first time I open Studio I get no error messages. Hunspell checker is activated.
As soon as I activate the MS Word spell checker I start getting the error messages again and Studio starts freezing when launching and closing.




If you have a second computer, re-install Studio there, get the TM from the other computer and retry.
And use a copy of the original Word document (source language) and give it a new name before you start. You might also want to save it as an RTF.


[Edited at 2016-08-15 17:43 GMT]


 

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:43
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Bernhard Aug 16, 2016

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Jo Macdonald wrote:

OK
I uninstalled office 2010 and can open and close Studio with no error messages.

After reinstalling Office, the first time I open Studio I get no error messages. Hunspell checker is activated.
As soon as I activate the MS Word spell checker I start getting the error messages again and Studio starts freezing when launching and closing.




If you have a second computer, re-install Studio there, get the TM from the other computer and retry.
And use a copy of the original Word document (source language) and give it a new name before you start. You might also want to save it as an RTF.


[Edited at 2016-08-15 17:43 GMT]


I can still use Studio.
The problem is when I launch or shut the program down and it freezes while the Word plugin sorts itself out methinks.


 

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:43
English to German
+ ...
Just one option Aug 16, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:


I can still use Studio.
The problem is when I launch or shut the program down and it freezes while the Word plugin sorts itself out methinks.


Hi Jo,
It's only meant as one option in case it is indeed a particular problem with Trados, even though it looks like Word or something else might be the culprit.

[Edited at 2016-08-16 18:34 GMT]


 

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:43
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word dll Aug 17, 2016

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

it looks like Word or something else might be the culprit.

[Edited at 2016-08-16 18:34 GMT]


Yep, an SDL technician was kind enough to have a look at the computer and there was a Word dll giving the error, plus various other windows errors maybe as a result of cloning the HD to SSD.

I reset Windows and reinstalled everything else and it looks like the problem is sorted.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word has stopped working

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search