LBeach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:43
Member (2016)
German to English
Aug 15, 2016

(WARNING: complete newbie translator!)

Hello,

I'm playing with TRADOS for the first time, and I'm trying to figure out how to use reference files. I have a few translations that I loaded into TM-Town and aligned, and TM-Town can create glossaries out of these. Now, I'm not sure if TRADOS uses "glossaries" (are these different from "termbases?"), but I thought I would give it a try. The problem is, I can't figure out what file type I'm supposed to download. The options are TMX, XLIFF, XLSX, CSV (UTF-16LE BOM), and CSV (UTF-8). Does TRADOS Studio use any of these? Incidentally, I don't seem to have MultiTerm. I guess that's a separate purchase.

Also, once I download the file, I'm not sure what to do with it. Is there a folder I should put the file in?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
-Laura

[Edited at 2016-08-15 20:54 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:43
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
xliff Aug 16, 2016

I know trados supports this file type. you can open it with trados studio. If it's biligual, it can be saved in your trados TM and used for future reference. I don't know anything about TM-TOWN.

United States
Member (2016)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Location Aug 16, 2016

Thanks. Do you know what folder I should place the glossary in?

Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:43
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
termbase Aug 16, 2016

LBeach wrote:

Thanks. Do you know what folder I should place the glossary in?

Sorry, I thought you were trying to import sentences.

If they are terms, you should create a termbase and import them into the termbase. I think the termbase is a separate component from trados studio. So, in future when you try to translate something in the studio, all you need to do is add this termbase you created. The termbase will remind you that certain term is in the term base and show the corresponding translated term by underlining the term with red line.

Anyways, just take your time. You'll find out it's pretty easy.

Viel Glück.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:43
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Multiterm is the termbase Aug 16, 2016

Reference files have to be opened separately - as Word or PDF, or whatever they are. Then you use them as you can - depending on the type of job and content of the file.

This is what Paul Filkin from SDL says, and if he says so, then you can reckon that is correct!
https://community.sdl.com/products-solutions/solutions/customer_experience_cloud/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/4459

I only have one screen per computer, but I sometimes print out reference files, so I can scribble notes on them in pencil, or sometimes I open them on my laptop, if they are large and printing would be a waste of paper.

I don't know about TM Town, but Trados Studio works with .sdlxliff files - these are the bilingual files created when you set up a translation. The source is divided into segments, which are roughly equivalent to sentences, and as you work through the text, the target sentences are saved alongside them.

These are the segments that are retrieved if a similar or identical sentence appears later. They are linked to the actual Translation Memories (TMs). If you create a new (empty) TM, it will collect the segments as you translate them. You can share them with colleagues by exporting them as .tmx files, and you can import .tmx files from others - agencies, earlier projects and so on, or combine TMs.

Glossaries, or termbases are different. If the segment you are translating contains a word or term that is in the active glossary, it will show the word in the window at the top right of the screen, and when you type the first two or three letters, it will appear ready for insertion, so you click Enter, and the term is inserted in your translation. You can use it for long strings too - it is very useful to save typing them out! I enter all kinds of things in mine.

It's a long while since I bought Trados, and Multiterm, the termbase creator, was included in the pack, but it opens and runs separately to some extent.
If you have bought the starter pack, however, it will not be included until/unless you upgrade to the full Freelance version. I think you can use a termbase from a package sent by a client, but you cannot create or edit your own with the starter pack.

Once you have created a termbase, you can select it when you set up a project or add it later, if you use a template, or if a client sends you a package with the project already set up. The termbase is the glossary.

The easiest way to create a glossary for your termbase is to use the Glossary Converter, which is an app you can download free from SDL. But you have to have Multiterm as well.
You can set up your glossary in Excel, and 'drag and drop' it onto the Converter icon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mICKmfyfPs

You can start Multiterm and build a glossary up from scratch - assuming you have Multiterm - and you can then include more features, but if you simply want to create a two-language glossary, the converter app is excellent.

To answer your question about where to put the file - Studio sets up projects by default in a series of folder in 'My Documents'.
Otherwise, anywhere you can browse to easily when asked to 'Add files' or whatever - it is largely up to you.

Good luck with Studio - I find it is well worth the effort of learning to use it, but it does take time to understand and master all the features!

United States
Member (2016)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Needed to Install Multiterm Aug 16, 2016

Thanks. It turns out Studio did come with Multiterm, but I had to install it separately. I've done that, and it looks like I can pull up a termbase from anywhere on my computer so long as it is the right file type, and now that I've downloaded the Glossary Converter, I can pop a glossary in it to get the right file type.

The only problem now is that Multiterm crashes every time I try to open a termbase. I'll probably have to get with SDL about that. Thanks again for helping me get at least this far!

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:43
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Needed to Install Multiterm Aug 17, 2016

Hi Laura,

Sorry to hear that MT is crashing.
I see from your account that you have Studio 2015 FL- so that we can get you the right help and solution to the MT issue, could you provide the PC system stats please? (Operating system/PC or MAC/Office version/RAM/Antivirus provider etc.)
This information will help us narrow down the cause and help you set up everything to run smoothly.

Kr

SDL_Steve

United States
Member (2016)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
System stats Aug 17, 2016

Thanks SDL_Steve,

My computer is an Acer Aspire E1-532 operating under Windows 7, 64-bit, service pack 1. Microsoft Office version is 2013. Processor is Intel(R) Pentium(R) 3558U @ 1.70GHz. I have 4.00 GB of RAM, of which 3.88 GB shows usable. My anti-virus program is ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8.0.312.0.

I'm not sure what other information you might need. Let me know if you need anything more.

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:43
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
System stats Aug 18, 2016

Hi Laura,

Thanks for this. VERY Helpful indeed.
I can immediately identify two issues here and possibly a third-
Firstly as strange as it may sound, one issue stems from ESETNOD anti virus program.
Antivirus programs can sometimes be overzealous when offering security protection in that perfectly safe files are quarantined (false positive) but do not inform you of the action.
Secondly is your Windows version (SP1) which needs updating to SP2
and lastly you will need to update your MS Office installation.

Resolution-
You MUST be logged onto the PC as administrator (not secondary user) to complete the following tasks.

Please close all programs (including Studio/Email etc.) then locate your Esetnod Program and fully disable (until reboot).
http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=139833

Then you will need to FIRST update Windows 7 SP1 to SP2 followed by your S Office installation.

Now go to W7 Control Panel/Programs and features and search for SDL Studio 2015- Right Click- Run Repair
Repeat the process for SDL MultiTerm 2015.

Now simply reboot your PC and everything should now work fine.

If you need further help, please let me know.

Kr

SDL_Steve

United States
Member (2016)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Using Multiterm Correctly Aug 26, 2016

SDL_Steve,

Thanks for the advice. I have updated Windows 7 as much as I can (using the roll-up, which I believe is like a service pack 2). I have not bought Office 2016, and would like to avoid having to buy it if it isn't necessary. It seems strange that Trados 2015 would require Office 2016. If this is an absolute necessity, please let me know.

Anyway, after upgrading Windows and disabling ESET, I have run repair on both Trados and Multiterm, and still have the problem. Now to be honest I'm not even sure I'm trying to use Multiterm correctly. When I open Multiterm, I click the File tab, then Open Termbase. Nothing populates, so I click browse, navigate to SDL Multiterm -> Multiterm12 -> Samples, and try to open the file called Sample. At this point I get an error message saying "SDL Multiterm has stopped working." Below are the details:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MultiTerm.exe
Application Version: 12.2.1629.0
Application Timestamp: 56ceffe7
Fault Module Name: Sdl.MultiTerm.Database.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.2.1424.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 56c6e8cc
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003fb8a
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Am I not using Multiterm correctly?

Respectfully,
Laura

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados reference file types

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search