Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
"Old" Studio 2011 and 2014 licenses deactivated after update to W10
Thread poster: Mirko Mainardi

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:32
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 17, 2016

Hi, I switched from W7 to W10 on 2 computers. On one of them I had Studio 2011 and 2014 (but not 2015), while on the other I had 2011 and 2015.

In the past I had "upgraded" my Studio license (Freelance Plus) from 2011 to 2014 and from 2014 to 2015. After switching to W10, the 2011 and 2014 licenses on my first PC stopped working (now I'm getting the trial license window), while 2011 is still working on my other PC (so that's already quite weird in itself...).

Is there a way to reactivate 2011 and 2014 on my first PC, just like before the update to W10?

Thanks in advance for your help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
Member (2015)
Licensing information Aug 17, 2016

Hi Mirko,

When upgraded your previous versions 2011/2014 (as opposed to purchasing new licenses) SDL allowed freelance users (does NOT apply to Professional license users) to continue using the previous version until the license was deactivated or reinstalled/migrated to a new PC.
This is also true in regards to the second/older PC which you have NOT yet upgraded to a new OS.
If you wish to continue using the older Studio versions on the second/older PC for whatever reason, then you must delay the upgrade of the OS as this will constitute a new install.

In this particular case, the upgrade to Windows 10 in fact reflects a formatting of the HDD and therefore a new install rendering the older licenses inactive.
Please note that Studio 2015 is fully backwards compatible with legacy versions of SDL software, therefore I am unaware of any incompatibility issues with legacy versions. You can accept all client projects created in legacy versions- work in Studio 2015 and return to the client.

Kind Regards,

SDL_Roman


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:32
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Aug 17, 2016

sdl_roman wrote:

Hi Mirko,

When upgraded your previous versions 2011/2014 (as opposed to purchasing new licenses) SDL allowed freelance users (does NOT apply to Professional license users) to continue using the previous version until the license was deactivated or reinstalled/migrated to a new PC.
This is also true in regards to the second/older PC which you have NOT yet upgraded to a new OS.
If you wish to continue using the older Studio versions on the second/older PC for whatever reason, then you must delay the upgrade of the OS as this will constitute a new install.

In this particular case, the upgrade to Windows 10 in fact reflects a formatting of the HDD and therefore a new install rendering the older licenses inactive.
Please note that Studio 2015 is fully backwards compatible with legacy versions of SDL software, therefore I am unaware of any incompatibility issues with legacy versions. You can accept all client projects created in legacy versions- work in Studio 2015 and return to the client.


Thanks for the reply, Roman, but, as I was saying, I switched from W7 to W10 ON BOTH PCs, and on one of them Studio's licenses were deactivated, while on the other Studio 2011 keeps working, so that contradicts what you are saying, and that's pretty weird in itself, as I wrote... Also, I beg to differ about the equivalence between upgrading to W10 and changing HDD/formatting/reinstalling everything (everything else but Studio still works...), and I definitely wasn't aware of it, nor told so by SDL...

Also, since this topic came up, I'd like to take this chance to say I find this "forced phasing out/deactivation" policy from SDL quite nonsensical (also compared to how Kilgray handles licensing, just to name a name...). Why don't you just allow your customers to buy newer versions of your products (which is what you want) AND keep using the old versions of the software until they want to, without running the risk something like this (or some other "accident") suddenly deactivates the software they were working with?

Maybe it's just me, but since we're talking about work here (often with tight deadlines on top of that), I find this quite unacceptable (and incomprehensible). If I'm in the middle of a project with an older version of Studio 20XX, and for some reason the license gets deactivated, and can't be reactivated, because SDL unilaterally decided it has "expired" and has been superseded by the one linked to the newer version, well, that's a real problem, in my opinion. And what's more, this could be very easily addressed by SDL.

On top of that, the fact you specifically mentioned the difference with the "professional" (and very expensive) version seems to hint to the fact you're allowing them to keep using older versions without limitation as an "added value" included in the package, which I frankly find quite baffling (and unfair).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
Member (2004)
English to Italian
because they are "upgrades"... Aug 17, 2016

if you want to keep the programs forever, you have to buy the whole new product, at the full price, not just the upgrade (which commands a much lower price)... SDL allows you to keep using them until you change PC, return the license, etc... which I think it's fair enough...

Direct link Reply with quote
 

sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
Member (2015)
I would therefore like to clarify Aug 17, 2016

Hi Mirko,

Please accept my apologies if my reply appears unclear.

I would therefore like to clarify my comments this preventing further misunderstanding for any freelancers upgrading their software license.

We (SDL) understand that Freelancers are often under immense time pressure to complete a project and it’s NOT always possible to migrate to a new version within a set time period.
However (unlike PRO license users who MUST return their previous license before completing the upgrade), we allow freelancers to continue using their existing licenses under certain criteria as explained previously and which can be read in the FAQ’s
http://www.translationzone.com/products/trados-studio/freelance/faqs.html

2016-08-17_12-39-00

Freelancers (not PRO license) users can (even though you have UPGRADED and not purchased NEW licenses) run multiple versions on the same PC if you so wish – until either a reinstall or update of OS etc. as explained earlier.
As I am sure you understand, when you UPGRADE a license, you are trading in the use of the old license to be able to use the benefits of the newer version and its functionality at MUCH LOWER cost than if you were to retain the old license and purchase the new version outright which is considerably more expensive (than UPGRADING).
I believe it is in the freelancers benefit to be able to upgrade at a much lower cost than having to purchase a new version each time at a much higher cost.

If I can be of further assistance please do get in contact.

Kind Regards,

SDL_Roman


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:32
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I didn't change PC, return the license, etc... Aug 17, 2016

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

if you want to keep the programs forever, you have to buy the whole new product, at the full price, not just the upgrade (which commands a much lower price)... SDL allows you to keep using them until you change PC, return the license, etc... which I think it's fair enough...


As per subject, I did no such things. If I did, I wouldn't have started this thread, because I would've been aware of the fact that in such cases I wouldn't have been able to reactivate the older versions of Studio (although I still find that unfair and nonsensical). As things stand, I did the very same thing on two PCs (W7>W10) and ended up with two opposite results... That doesn't seem normal to me, which is why I was asking for a way to "correct" that.

Besides, as I was saying, with MemoQ you still buy "upgrades" (that's what their upgrade & maintenance packages are...) and are allowed to keep using previous versions using the same license and without this silly deactivation policy. Now that is "fair enough". Allowing users to keep using older versions would cost literally nothing to SDL and could make life easier for their customers (interfaces you're more used to, settings for specific projects, more stable and "mature" software, no waste of time migrating projects in case of "accidents", etc.).

Lastly, if that was as simple, reasonable and fair as you say, there wouldn't be a difference between the "freelance" and the "professional" versions in this respect...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:32
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Again... Aug 17, 2016

sdl_roman wrote:

Freelancers (not PRO license) users can (even though you have UPGRADED and not purchased NEW licenses) run multiple versions on the same PC if you so wish – until either a reinstall or update of OS etc. as explained earlier.



Thanks again for your reply. As I wrote, I am aware of that. I don't agree with that policy (for the reasons I mentioned), but I was aware of it. However, once again, I did not deactivate my old Studio licenses, I did not assemble a new PC, I did not format my HDDs and reinstall the OS and/or Studio, etc. I upgraded from W7 to W10 on two PCs. On one of them Studio's licenses were deactivated, on the second one they were not.

Also see my reply to Giovanni.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes, but... Aug 17, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

if you want to keep the programs forever, you have to buy the whole new product, at the full price, not just the upgrade (which commands a much lower price)... SDL allows you to keep using them until you change PC, return the license, etc... which I think it's fair enough...


As per subject, I did no such things. If I did, I wouldn't have started this thread, because I would've been aware of the fact that in such cases I wouldn't have been able to reactivate the older versions of Studio (although I still find that unfair and nonsensical). As things stand, I did the very same thing on two PCs (W7>W10) and ended up with two opposite results... That doesn't seem normal to me, which is why I was asking for a way to "correct" that.

Besides, as I was saying, with MemoQ you still buy "upgrades" (that's what their upgrade & maintenance packages are...) and are allowed to keep using previous versions using the same license and without this silly deactivation policy. Now that is "fair enough". Allowing users to keep using older versions would cost literally nothing to SDL and could make life easier for their customers (interfaces you're more used to, settings for specific projects, more stable and "mature" software, no waste of time migrating projects in case of "accidents", etc.).

Lastly, if that was as simple, reasonable and fair as you say, there wouldn't be a difference between the "freelance" and the "professional" versions in this respect...


The Professional version offers many extra features, hence the hefty price tag... regarding the fairness of the system, I just lost my 2014 licence because I returned it for some reason - can't remember - and I forgot I would lose it forever since I had just upgraded to 2015... so, I do think that maybe SDL should let us keep it indefinitely... but I get their point of view.


That doesn't seem normal to me, which is why I was asking for a way to "correct" that.


I guess you were lucky you still have it on one PC... I don't think SDL are going to change their rules, though... it should have been deactivated...

Having said that, 2015 is backward-compatible... you can open your project in 2015 and that's it...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I agree... Aug 17, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

However, once again, I did not deactivate my old Studio licenses, I did not assemble a new PC, I did not format my HDDs and reinstall the OS and/or Studio, etc. I upgraded from W7 to W10 on two PCs. On one of them Studio's licenses were deactivated, on the second one they were not.


The OS upgrade should be mentioned in the FAQs...

and now that you mention it, I just remembered why I lost the 2014 licence... I upgraded the laptop OS from W 8.1 to W 10...

[Edited at 2016-08-17 12:23 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:32
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, I do hope listening to customers is not totally out of fashion... Aug 17, 2016

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

The Professional version offers many extra features, hence the hefty price tag... regarding the fairness of the system, I just lost my 2014 licence because I returned it for some reason - can't remember - and I forgot I would lose it forever since I had just upgraded to 2015... so, I do think that maybe SDL should let us keep it indefinitely... but I get their point of view.


I for one don't, and not only because I think that wouldn't damage them in the slightest, and would make things easier for us, but also because, as your own experience shows, it's very easy to make a similar "mistake", even unwittingly or because of force majeure (imagine a system failure forcing you to change components...), despite all the fine print in the world...
As for me, I learnt about the old licenses deactivation policy only because I extensively searched for it before upgrading 2011 to 2014...

Linked to the above, about the pro/freelance difference, interestingly enough, I can't see that mentioned anywhere in the comparison of the various versions... Actually, if you look at this comparison table for Studio 2014, you'll see a "Perpetual license available" mentioned for both the freelance and professional versions, but no mention of an upgrade invalidating that "perpetual(?) license" in the first but not in the second case...

If a professional license holder upgrades their version of Studio (at a much lower price than a new purchase), how is that conceptually different from the upgrade of a freelance license holder? Why in that case the "when you UPGRADE a license, you are trading in the use of the old license to be able to use the benefits of the newer version and its functionality at MUCH LOWER cost than if you were to retain the old license and purchase the new version outright which is considerably more expensive (than UPGRADING)", as explained by Roman, should not apply? If there are no "incompatibility issues with legacy versions", surely the same is true for both versions, isn't it? What's the point/logical thinking behind barring (only some) users from using older versions of a software?



That doesn't seem normal to me, which is why I was asking for a way to "correct" that.


I guess you were lucky you still have it on one PC... I don't think SDL are going to change their rules, though... it should have been deactivated...


Unfortunately, I only had 2011 and 2015 on my second PC, not 2014 (and neither was deactivated after the upgrade(?) to W10, BTW).


Having said that, 2015 is backward-compatible... you can open your project in 2015 and that's it...


Yeah, but, as written before, having older versions active and usable would make life easier for us and cost nothing to them, that's the thing. Usually, when a sufficient number of customers/users ask something (which is also very reasonable and easily feasible, in this specific case), the people "serving" them should naturally have a direct interest in listening...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
Member (2015)
Reported Aug 17, 2016

Hi Mirko, Hi Giovanni,

As it is not necessarily clear to all in regards to the OS upgrade issue, I have escalated this for you to our web team who will update the FAQ's to remove any ambiguity or possible room for misunderstanding when upgrading licenses.

Again I apologise about the issue that Studio 2011 works on one upgraded PC and not the other- for this I have absolutely no explanation for this unless its running in trial mode (as one 2011 licence activation in your account has never been used/activated).

If 2011 is running in full freelance mode and not as a trial, then this is absolutely a bonus for you as this would not be the expected (tried and tested) behaviour of a OS upgrade.

Thanks,

SDL_Roman


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I think... Aug 17, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

The Professional version offers many extra features, hence the hefty price tag... regarding the fairness of the system, I just lost my 2014 licence because I returned it for some reason - can't remember - and I forgot I would lose it forever since I had just upgraded to 2015... so, I do think that maybe SDL should let us keep it indefinitely... but I get their point of view.


I for one don't, and not only because I think that wouldn't damage them in the slightest, and would make things easier for us, but also because, as your own experience shows, it's very easy to make a similar "mistake", even unwittingly or because of force majeure (imagine a system failure forcing you to change components...), despite all the fine print in the world...
As for me, I learnt about the old licenses deactivation policy only because I extensively searched for it before upgrading 2011 to 2014...

Linked to the above, about the pro/freelance difference, interestingly enough, I can't see that mentioned anywhere in the comparison of the various versions... Actually, if you look at this comparison table for Studio 2014, you'll see a "Perpetual license available" mentioned for both the freelance and professional versions, but no mention of an upgrade invalidating that "perpetual(?) license" in the first but not in the second case...

If a professional license holder upgrades their version of Studio (at a much lower price than a new purchase), how is that conceptually different from the upgrade of a freelance license holder? Why in that case the "when you UPGRADE a license, you are trading in the use of the old license to be able to use the benefits of the newer version and its functionality at MUCH LOWER cost than if you were to retain the old license and purchase the new version outright which is considerably more expensive (than UPGRADING)", as explained by Roman, should not apply? If there are no "incompatibility issues with legacy versions", surely the same is true for both versions, isn't it? What's the point/logical thinking behind barring (only some) users from using older versions of a software?



SDL will have to answer your questions... because I don't have them! And yes, I would like to have my 2014 licence back, because it was unwittingly taken away from me... but, hey...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:32
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course Aug 17, 2016

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

SDL will have to answer your questions... because I don't have them! And yes, I would like to have my 2014 licence back, because it was unwittingly taken away from me... but, hey...


Of course, sorry about that, Giovanni Although I was replying to you, I was trying to make a point and hopefully get SDL's (and others') attention on this (but I'm not holding my breath...).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well... Aug 18, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

SDL will have to answer your questions... because I don't have them! And yes, I would like to have my 2014 licence back, because it was unwittingly taken away from me... but, hey...


Of course, sorry about that, Giovanni Although I was replying to you, I was trying to make a point and hopefully get SDL's (and others') attention on this (but I'm not holding my breath...).


they've said they would add the OS upgrade to the reasons... at least it's something... but since it wasn't mentioned before, I find it a bit unfair I cannot have my licence back...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

2G Trad  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:32
Member (2000)
English to Italian
+ ...
Building knowledge base Aug 18, 2016

For knowledge base purpose, could you describe both PCs starting situations, Mirko?

1st PC:
- Previous OS: W7
- Destination OS: W10
- Installed Studio versions: 2011+2014
- Studio latest version owned: 2015
- Results: 2011+2014 in trial mode

2nd PC:
- Previous OS: W7
- Destination OS: W10
- Installed Studio versions: 2011+2015
- Studio latest version owned: 2015
- Results: 2011+2015 in full working mode

Thank you
Cheers
Gianni

[Edited at 2016-08-18 12:38 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Old" Studio 2011 and 2014 licenses deactivated after update to W10

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search