Converting .xls glossary into termbase
Thread poster: Michael Moskowitz

Michael Moskowitz  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:31
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2005

I have a two-column English-Russian glossary that I am trying to convert. It all seems to go well, except at the end it does not work in Trados FL. I got to the point, that In Rus>Eng direction, the terms are showing up while Multiterm, on the right side of the screen, with a bunch of question marks on the left. If I change direction to Eng>Rus, it all goes blank. Is there something wrong with the column names in the original .xls file? They simply state: English and Russian. The.xml file appears to contain all entries. Anyone succesfully converted files? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Michael Moskowitz


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxdgmaga
English to Spanish
Font problem?? Mar 18, 2005

Michael Moskowitz wrote:

I have a two-column English-Russian glossary that I am trying to convert. It all seems to go well, except at the end it does not work in Trados FL. I got to the point, that In Rus>Eng direction, the terms are showing up while Multiterm, on the right side of the screen, with a bunch of question marks on the left. If I change direction to Eng>Rus, it all goes blank. Is there something wrong with the column names in the original .xls file? They simply state: English and Russian. The.xml file appears to contain all entries. Anyone succesfully converted files? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Michael Moskowitz


Hi, Michael,

Although I have not have to deal with Russian, I have been able to user MultiTerm iX non-latin texts (like Greek) without many problems.

MultiTerm iX is not 100% Unicode compatible but Russian should be fully supported.

My suggestions would be (just wild guesses):

A) Open the XML file as a Unicode file in MS Word and check if the Russian characters display OK there.

B) Check the fonts that you are using in Excel for the Russian text. If the font used in Excel is not a Unicode font (like Arial or Times New Roman), that could be causing the problem.

C) Which versions of MS Office and Windows do you have?

D) Could it perhaps be that the termbase definition in MultiTerm iX is wrong? Could it be that your Russian index is not actually Russian but actially another language, even if the field name is Russian?

Just shots in the dark but I hope they are somehow useful!

Daniel


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Save as Unicode text Mar 18, 2005

Save your xls as Unicode text or tab delimited (try both, I'm not sure about Russian) and import this.

Best,
Esther


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting .xls glossary into termbase

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search