Is a "PSMA Level 1" agreement synonymous with a "SDL Support and Maintenance Basic contract"?
Thread poster: Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2016

SDL offer a so-called "Premium Support and Maintenance Agreement" (PSMA)

@ https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/mysupport.aspx ... it says I can choose between:

• PSMA Level 1 Desktop - Premium Software Maintenance Agreement
• PSMA Level 2 Desktop - Premium Software Maintenance Agreement

Hioweverm @ http://www.translationzone.com/support/premium-support.html … they talk about these two types of support:

• SDL Support and Maintenance Professional contract (Ideal for corporations and LSPs)
• SDL Support and Maintenance Basic contract (Ideal for individual translators)

So my question is, how do these two compare? Is "PSMA Level 1" synonymous with a "SDL Support and Maintenance Basic contract"?
And Is "PSMA Level 2" synonymous with a "SDL Support and Maintenance Professional contract"?

Also, is SDL closed on the weekend? Trying to get a quote re a support contract, but no one is answering.

Michael

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 02:27
French to German
+ ...
The differences are the response time and the number of reporting users Aug 21, 2016

Michael

Yes, the PSMA level 2 corresponds to the newly renamed "Professional" and the Level 1 to the "Basic".

The Level 2 contract is more expensive because it gives you a guaranteed response time of 3 hours and allows 4 people in your customer account to open support tickets (only 1 in Level 1), as you can see on the web page you mentioned.

May I suggest that you post such questions on the SDL community forum in the future, you'll get a better answer directly from the SDL people.

And about your last question: SDL support does not work over the week-end. You can however get crowd-based help from the SDL Community forum I mentioned, where some people are also active on weekends (such as Paul, Jerzy, me ...)

Walter

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Walter is right Aug 21, 2016

Walter Blaser wrote:
You can however get crowd-based help from the SDL Community forum I mentioned, where some people are also active on weekends (such as Paul, Jerzy, me ...)

There are many helpful people in the SDL forum. I do find the forum software and overall layout idiosyncratic and frustrating to use - could they not just have gone with something clean and simple like Discourse? - but somebody usually does respond within 24 hours.

Regards
Dan

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, I love Discourse. wish more people would use it Aug 21, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

Walter Blaser wrote:
You can however get crowd-based help from the SDL Community forum I mentioned, where some people are also active on weekends (such as Paul, Jerzy, me ...)

There are many helpful people in the SDL forum. I do find the forum software and overall layout idiosyncratic and frustrating to use - could they not just have gone with something clean and simple like Discourse? - but somebody usually does respond within 24 hours.

Regards
Dan

And why in god's name we still use Yahoo Groups is also a mystery to me, but that's another story altogether...

Michael

back on topic: thanks to both of you for the info!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Because... Aug 21, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:
And why in god's name we still use Yahoo Groups is also a mystery to me...

It's too much of a hassle to inform everyone that the group is moving to a different platform, and then checking up on people that they've all successfully migrated to the new system.

You'll also lose people who are unwilling to move to the new system, if the new system is not compatible with how they prefer to give support. For example, I just "joined" the "SDL Community", and I already dislike it. There's no quick overview of messages, there's no threaded replying, archive access is limited to what the web search function gives you, reading back to older messages is cumbersome, can't mark messages of threads as read, can only see x number of messages per conversation, can't save one's own replies as drafts while researching a proper answer, etc.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Most of this is incorrect Samuel... Aug 21, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:
For example, I just "joined" the "SDL Community", and I already dislike it. There's no quick overview of messages, there's no threaded replying, archive access is limited to what the web search function gives you, reading back to older messages is cumbersome, can't mark messages of threads as read, can only see x number of messages per conversation, can't save one's own replies as drafts while researching a proper answer, etc.

... although you can't save them as draft, that's true. But you might find this article helpful on using the SDL Community.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is a "PSMA Level 1" agreement synonymous with a "SDL Support and Maintenance Basic contract"?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search