Trados Group Buy
Thread poster: xxxToon Theuwis
xxxToon Theuwis  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 05:58
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 31, 2016

The current TGB for Trados says "SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance & official SDL training PLUS SDL Trados 2017 free on release". The PLUS makes is confusing to me. I think the TGB for Trados 2015 is unclear as to whether you receive an "upgrade" to 2017 or an "additional" license for 2017, meaning you can use both 2015 and 2017. I find the last option interesting because

- newly released software is sometimes buggy (and my deadlines are strict)
- some clients might initially still want you to use 2015 for compatibility reasons. I guess backward compatibility is guaranteed on paper, but might not be so in practice

Cheers,

Toon

[Edited at 2016-08-31 15:04 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Not the Plus version. Aug 31, 2016

Toon Theuwis wrote:

The current TGB for Trados says "SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance & official SDL training PLUS SDL Trados 2017 free on release". The PLUS makes is confusing to me.

Yes, the wording is confusing.
Freelance Plus versions come with 2 licenses so that you can have Studio running on two different machines at the same time (but only a single user).

But the offer you mention isn't for the Plus version. It's clarified here:
"SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance + 2017 free upon release"

You get a single license. When Studio 2017 comes out you'll be able to upgrade free of charge. You'll be able to keep 2015 running on that machine, side by side with 2017. When you buy another computer, you'll lose Studio 2015 and just be able to install 2017.

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:58
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Trados Group Buy Aug 31, 2016

Hi Toon,

I would just like to add to Emma's answer.
Emma is 100% correct in regards to PLUS activations and the fact that you will be able run both 2015 and 2017 side by side on the same machine.
However if you -
-deactivate Studio 2015,
-upgrade (not update) your Operating System,
-or attempt to migrate to a new machine (as Emma states)
-or need to reinstall after a system crash/hard disk reformat
you will no longer be able to use the 'old' 2015 version and only be able to use the new 2017 version.

I only mention this as there have been recent posts in regards to what constitutes a reinstall and or license deactivation.

If you need further help, please let me know.

Kind regards

SDL_Steve

xxxToon Theuwis  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Emma and Steve Aug 31, 2016

for your quick and clear answers.

Toon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Group Buy

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search