Difference between update main/project memories
Thread poster: Olivier Den Hartigh

Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:01
Member (2014)
English to French
Sep 10, 2016

When starting a new job, most of the time, I create a new project.
After reviewing my doc in a bilingual file, I update from bilingual review and then proceed to update main translation memories and update project translation memories, just to be on the safe side and make sure that segments with changes are overwritten in my tm(s).

I am thinking that using both options to update my tm is redundant and I might just need to update main memories OR project memories, but not both.

What do you think?
What is the difference between the two options?
When should I use one but not the other?

France
Member (2014)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Difference between update main/project memories Sep 12, 2016

Anybody knows the difference between update main and update project memories?
Anybody from SDL by any chance?icon_smile.gif

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
You probably don't need to use a project TM at all Sep 12, 2016

A project TM is project specific, and a main TM can be used in many different projects or to translate single documents.

Many people (including me) never use project TMs at all.
They're useful if you have a massive main TM. In that case you can pretranslate a file with that TM, and then simply use a project TM for the actual translation (a huge TM might slow you down).
If your main TMs aren't huge, then use them for your projects (you can add as many as you like). This is default behaviour (Prepare projects without project TM). Update the TM as you go (by confirming each segment and sending it to the TM).
At the end of the project you won't even need to run the "update TM" task.

France
Member (2014)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Difference between update main/project memories Jun 8

Emma,
I never had the chance to thank you for your explanation, until I reviewed it. So after more than a year, thank youicon_smile.gif Better late than never
Olivier Den Hartigh

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between update main/project memories

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search