Studio 2011 No segments displayed in Editor
Thread poster: Kitty W
Kitty W
Local time: 12:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2016

Hi all,

I'm still working with SDL Studio 2011 and it worked great until yesterday. I keep having the problem that no segments are shown in the editor view. No matter what kind of file I upload. I can only see the name of the document. Someone said to go tot the source view and open the text for translation but I cannot use that function because it is not clickable. Can someone help me please?

The steps I have taken:
1. Create New Project (used default settings, clicked 'next')
2. Filled in project details; nothing special
3. Used 'English (United Kingdom) as source language, Dutch (Netherlands) as target language (clicked 'next')
4. Added my source text (pdf file). I can see it's a translatable file!
5. Added my TM (also tried to create new project without TM)
6. No Termbase added, no SDL perfect Match added
7. Prepare without project TM, next, next, finish

No errors are given yet I do not see any segments and no bar under 'progress' (where it usually says 0%)

Kind regards, Kitty

[Bijgewerkt op 2016-09-19 17:52 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Workflow? Sep 19, 2016

Can you explain how you're adding a file to Studio?
Through "translate a single document", "create new project" or by adding a new file to an existing project?
If you can explain the steps you've taken, it'll be easier to find out what's going wrong.

Elif Baykara  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 13:18
Member (2015)
German to Turkish
+ ...
pdf file Sep 19, 2016

I have encountered the problem some time ago. It resolved when the client provided me with another pdf version of the source file. Sorry that I can't give more technical info but this may be a starting point.

Elif

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
PDF files Sep 19, 2016

Your New Project workflow sounds correct.

Kitty W wrote:

Added my source text (pdf file).

With Studio 2011, the pdf has to be an editable, not scanned pdf. It's likely you're trying to process a scanned one, especially if Studio opens with the file name and no segments. (In Studio 2015 you can process all types of pdfs.)

In your original post you said, "No matter what kind of file I upload". Can you confirm that you get the same error when you process a Word document in Studio?

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:18
English to Russian
Another cause Sep 20, 2016

...is that your pdf file may be encrypted.

[Edited at 2016-09-20 12:01 GMT]

Kitty W
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was indeed the file Sep 21, 2016

I made a Word document from the PDF and tried to upload that so that was probably why it did not work. It was indeed the file because there were other documents (different client) which I WAS able to properly add to a project.
Thank you all for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 No segments displayed in Editor

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search