Studio 2014 will not recognize Excel file correctly
Thread poster: Borbala Kemeny

Borbala Kemeny  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 14:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sep 23, 2016

I have two huge Excel files to translate but after hiding untranslatable texts I got around 2500 in each of the two files. I have created a project in Studio and both sdlxliff source files turned out to be around 50 words. I have tried creating a new project, went back to check my xls source files but, really, I have no clue what is going on. I have alredy repeated the process three times. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks so much for helping me in advance!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 19:41
Member
English to Vietnamese
Maybe due to Bilingual Excel Sep 23, 2016

Borbala Kemeny wrote:

I have two huge Excel files to translate but after hiding untranslatable texts I got around 2500 in each of the two files. I have created a project in Studio and both sdlxliff source files turned out to be around 50 words. I have tried creating a new project, went back to check my xls source files but, really, I have no clue what is going on. I have alredy repeated the process three times. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks so much for helping me in advance!


It may be due to Bilingual Excel enabled or it automatically recognised the excel files. Could you try to disable Bilingual Excel in the File Type or move it down to see if it works.

Oh...You may not have Bilingual Excel File Type in Studio 2014 but it is worth a try to save the file other versions of excel like 2003 or 2007,etc.

[Edited at 2016-09-23 08:49 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Borbala Kemeny  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 14:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you but.. Sep 23, 2016

Thanks, Doan. I have tried it; however, the problem remains after disabling bilingual Excel file type.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:41
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
Don't hide - delete Sep 23, 2016

Hi Borbala,
Seems that some thing is wrong with the "Hide" command.
I am not sure what the problem is, but I think ther are some work arounds available to you.
Please try to "Delete" all the unneeded columns so that you have only one column only to work on.
If you have untranslateable lines, just leave it in and copy them during translation.
It may be useful to save the "clean" file as "xlsx" not "xls".
If this does not help, you can either:
Save the clean file as a text file, or
Copy the the translatable column to Word, save it as a Word file, translate it and than copy back.
Good luck.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 19:41
Member
English to Vietnamese
Another version may help Sep 23, 2016

Borbala Kemeny wrote:

Thanks, Doan. I have tried it; however, the problem remains after disabling bilingual Excel file type.


Sorry to hear it did not work for you as I had same issues and disabling Bilingual Excel worked well.

Could you try to save source files in another version of Excel and add files again to the project.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Borbala Kemeny  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 14:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deletion/ new format does not work Sep 23, 2016

Hi Doan and Amnon,

First of all, I am sooo grateful for you trying to help here!!

OTHER FORMAT: I had already tried saving it in another Excel format (earlier one) but the problem remains.

DELETING COLUMNS: Unfortunately, I cannot, because 1) the translatable column has references from the previous columns and loses all the values upon deletion 2) the volume is so massive that, when creating the final target file, recopying everything manually would not work anyway.

Any other suggesitons, please?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 19:41
Member
English to Vietnamese
Another try with color Sep 23, 2016

Borbala Kemeny wrote:

Hi Doan and Amnon,

First of all, I am sooo grateful for you trying to help here!!

OTHER FORMAT: I had already tried saving it in another Excel format (earlier one) but the problem remains.

DELETING COLUMNS: Unfortunately, I cannot, because 1) the translatable column has references from the previous columns and loses all the values upon deletion 2) the volume is so massive that, when creating the final target file, recopying everything manually would not work anyway.

Any other suggesitons, please?


What happened if you add all file without hiding, please check if all contents are shown. If not, the problem may be due to the excel file itself.

Please try with changing colour of all untranslatable texts into red colour and tick Skip texts marked with Red Trados File Type (e.g. .xlsx) before adding files to see if this works.


[Edited at 2016-09-23 10:25 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 will not recognize Excel file correctly

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search