This is not translation! Looking for effective way forward...
Thread poster: Marketing-Lang.

Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:01
English to German
+ ...
Oct 5, 2016

Dear all,
My client has a huge collection of xml files, for which they decided to correct/change/update the punctuation (e.g. " instead of ', z. B. instead of z.B., and similar) along with some new translations.
I am facing a massive job that, for the great part, does not involve any changes in the target text.
Do I really have to upset my customer with a massive bill and myself with days or even weeks of mind-numbing segment checking, or does anybody have a better way to handle this? Suggestions, anybody?
I'd much appreciate any input.
Thanks in advance,
-Mike-

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Regex Oct 5, 2016

Marketing-Lang. wrote:
Suggestions, anybody?

This sounds like a typical regex job. All you need is a list of what needs changing into what and some knowledge of regex. Sounds like a straight forward job.

Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any hints? Oct 5, 2016

Hi Siegfried,
Thanks for your input. Could you elaborate?

I had thought about converting my TM to text, doing a search&replace of the changes, then reimporting into my TM. But that would change TUs that are not related to this project. This is a client of over 10 years and over 250.000 TUs, and this job is "just" 15.000 segments long...

Thanks,
-Mike-

Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
What if Oct 5, 2016

you just confirmed everything into a project TM which only contains the segments in this particular project, exported this, then did the find-replace and then reimported the whole thing back into the original TM. Or would that create double entries?

_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Regex or TM Editor? Oct 6, 2016

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure if any of my ideas are really useful for you, but these are some things I might do in a similar situation:

To protect TUs in the TM that you do not want to change, I'd try to first separate them from the rest of the TM. If you have a specific TM attribute for this customer, you could simply apply a filter for this attribute.
If this is not possible, I'd probably create a fresh project, match it against the TM and commit all segments into a new TM, like Kirsten suggested.

Replacing "z.B." with "z. B." sounds like a simple search-and-replace operation. So does replacing single quotes with double quotes. I can see Studio choking on 12,000 segments though, so if that's your challenge maybe you can do this in a TM editor like Olifant. Olifant can handle massive amounts of TUs easily and I use it often for cleanup jobs like this. For the most part you should be able to do this without regular expressions.

For other, less straight-forward replacements, regex may indeed be the solution. You could e.g. replace straight quotes with curly quotes like this:

Search pattern: "(.*?)"
Replace pattern: „$1“

(.*?) matches anything between the straight quotes, $1 reinserts it in between the curly quotes. Some basic regex knowledge can literally save you hours of work. If you're completely unfamiliar with regex, I think Paul Filkin's blog is a good starting point. And there's an excellent overview here: http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Shared/Help/regex.htm

Stephan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This is not translation! Looking for effective way forward...

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search