Case-ending issue with Termbases (e.g., Russian)
Thread poster: JW Narins

JW Narins  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
Member (2015)
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2016

Hello, all!

I converted a glossary to a termbase for the first time - but it was essentially useless, as the Russian terms in the termbase were in nominative singular, while they usually weren't in the document.

How does one handle this? It's the top translation software, so I have to imagine this is expected.

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2016-10-06 05:28 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Quite typical Oct 6, 2016

Well, not only for case languages, any language that has different endings is in this situation.

You should probably lower the Minimum match value. In Studio, go to File> Options> Language Pairs> All Language Pairs> Termbases> Search Settings, and put the minimum match value at 70% or below.

Did I understand your question right? Or, are you asking how to make the termbase insert the terms with different endings?

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
That's normal Oct 6, 2016

Any dictionary only has the basic case and you must yourself make the conversion. In WFP there is a fuzzy recognition, but it delivers very strange results.
Glossary should perhaps only have the invariant part of each entry without the grammatical ending.

JW Narins  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
Member (2015)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only invariant part... Oct 6, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Any dictionary only has the basic case and you must yourself make the conversion. In WFP there is a fuzzy recognition, but it delivers very strange results.
Glossary should perhaps only have the invariant part of each entry without the grammatical ending.

Yes, I thought about that - but there are two problems with it.

1. It looks like multiterm only recognizes full words as terms. That is, if I make "ежик" a term, it won't see "ежик" in the morpheme "ежика".

2. Still more problematically, TERMS are often MORE THAN ONE WORD in length.

We're talking about TRANSLATION SOFTWARE here - how can they not take this into account? There should be a template for terms - how many words & the invariant part of each. How hard could that be?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Case-ending issue with Termbases (e.g., Russian)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search