translate cc  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:06
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2016

Morning all,
I was translating a document from German into English yesterday and although a certain sentence rang a bell, highlighting a keyword and hitting F3 failed to bring up any previous translation units.
I double-checked the corresponding old job, translated with the same translation memory a few months before, and there was the exact same sentence.
After much fiddling around, I’ve discovered that I can import the old sdlxliff files concerned, go back to the current project and find the corresponding matches.
I can only assume that translation units are not being saved to the translation memory.
I would obviously prefer to avoid the onerous task of re-importing the project files at the end of every job, so does anyone out there have any thoughts/experiences to relate on the subject?
I await the avalanche of responses.
Good weekend,
Andy

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:06
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Question not clear Oct 8, 2016

Hi Andy,
I don't foresee an avalanche of responses, and the reason is your question is unclear.

What exactly is it? How can the concordance function work if your segment was not recorded in the TM to begin with? Why was it not recorded? How could you work on a whole project (!) and not notice that your TM is not updated?

First, figure out whether the concordance function works, by selecting any string in your source text and looking it up in the TM using the concordance function. If it's there, great. If it's not, the question you should be investigating is why translation units are not added to the TM.

Neither of these issues should normally happen.
icon_smile.gif

Sandra

translate cc  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:06
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possibly not concordance after all Oct 8, 2016

Hi Sandra,
Thanks for your reply. As you say, and as I have since discovered, the non-functioning concordance function is actually a symptom of something else. I didn't notice earlier because the jobs in question had very few matches with previous texts (in fact I use Trados mostly to take advantage of repetitions within a particular text or set of texts, and for the various features of MultiTerm).
Someone on another forum has suggested that I check out the difference between "Prepare" and "Prepare without project TM". I'll do so (see also http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/2978.html) on Monday, with another job currently on the back burner.
Thanks again and good weekend,
Andy Birch

[Edited at 2016-10-08 14:20 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concordance (F3) function of Trados Studio 2015 not working

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search