Key tips inhibits short cuts involving alt key
Thread poster: Clifford Marcus

Clifford Marcus
Local time: 02:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2016

I have noticed that very often when I want to use a short cut that uses the alt key (e.g. Cntrl Alt F to confirmand go to next fuzzy) the ALT key has the unwanted effect of starting the keytips. Short of changing the short cuts to avoid the alt key (which I have done for some), any ideas what can be done?
TIA for any input

Clifford Marcus
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
might have found an answer to my own question.... Oct 12, 2016

Found this:

https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/3017

which seems to suggest that the only thing to do is reconfigure your shortcuts to avoid the ALT key

I would like a short cut I can use just one hand for for confirming and going to next untranslated segment (what idiot comes up with the idea of making you waste time to use two hands for that?). In the old days I did /alt cntrl z/, now I'm trying /contrl shift z/...

TIA for any other ideas, tho'

[Edited at 2016-10-12 11:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-12 11:04 GMT]

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:25
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
alt+x Oct 12, 2016

Clifford Marcus wrote:

I would like a short cut I can use just one hand for for confirming and going to next untranslated segment (what idiot comes up with the idea of making you waste time to use two hands for that?). In the old days I did /alt cntrl z/, now I'm trying /contrl shift z/...

TIA for any other ideas, tho'

I have keyed "confirm and move to the next segment" to alt+x and don't have any problem with it. Since this is the most used shortcut, I prefer to keep it as simple and non-straining as possible (avoid 3 keys). Would that work for you? I may have disabled another function that used this shortcut, I don't remember.
On my macbook I use option+z for the same function in other software.

I see you want "confirm and move to next unconfirmed": I use alt+enter for that (two hands, or right hand), but that is not my primary keystroke.

[Edited at 2016-10-12 12:23 GMT]

Clifford Marcus
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the problem is with alt key Oct 12, 2016

Hi Lianne,
Many thanks for your reply
The problem with alt X is the original problem I was posting about. Alt sometimes activates the key tips. and the problem with using control + something is that control Z,X,V, etc. are all taken.
Clifford

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
But why does it work for me w/o any problem Oct 12, 2016

Clifford Marcus wrote:

Hi Lianne,
Many thanks for your reply
The problem with alt X is the original problem I was posting about. Alt sometimes activates the key tips. and the problem with using control + something is that control Z,X,V, etc. are all taken.
Clifford

Hi Clifford,

I understand what you are saying, but how is it that I don't have any problem with that? When you say "alt sometimes activates the key tips," what do you mean? Does this not depend on which keystroke you use after alt, such as alt+F: yes, that activates the file menu. I was trying to say that alt+x has not been assigned to other functions.

Clifford Marcus
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
eppure si muove... Oct 12, 2016

Hi,
I don't know why you don't have the prob, tho' you can see that I'm not the only one. I also get it on two different machines. If I proceed translating having a shortcut that includes the ALT key, my own, or the default ones, about half the time I found it was activating the ribbon command. I have had it on 2014 and now on 2015. But have finally found out that the culprit was the ALT key and have devised my workaround.
Clifford

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Screenshot Oct 12, 2016

What do you get in the ribbon when you are in the editor and you press just alt?
But maybe the problem is indeed somewhere else in a system and I don't have that issue.

alt-key.png?dl=0

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Key tips inhibits short cuts involving alt key

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search