Nathalie Warner  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:38
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 13, 2016

Hi

One of my clients requires straight, single apostrophes but every time I hit the key a curly apostrophe appears. So for every apostrophe I need to type alt+39 which, as you can imagine, gets rather irritating! I've been through all of the options and I cannot resolve the issue. I can't even manage to flag it in the QA checker.

Any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:38
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Keyboard language Oct 13, 2016

The following might be of use, but I'm not sure:
Pressing Alt+Shift on the keyboard (in Windows) will cycle through different keyboard language layouts. In my case it changes the character produced by Shift+2 (normally the double quote) and a few others.

SDL_Guillaume
Member (2015)
RE: I want straight apostrophes! Oct 13, 2016

Dear Nathalie,

This is Guillaume from SDL.

I have been so far unable to find a license under your name.

So I can assist you further, could you send me in a private message the 6 digits order number of your license?

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:38
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Really? Oct 13, 2016

SDL_Guillaume wrote:

Dear Nathalie,

So I can assist you further, could you send me in a private message the 6 digits order number of your license?

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Are you checking licenses before someone can get an answer about straight quotes??

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
File > Options > Editor > Autocorrect Oct 13, 2016

Did you untick "Replace "straight quotes" with smart quotes" under File > Options > Editor > Autocorrect (for your target language)?

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
+1 Oct 13, 2016

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

SDL_Guillaume wrote:

Dear Nathalie,

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Are you checking licenses before someone can get an answer about straight quotes??

Same thought here.

France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 13, 2016

SDL_Guillaume wrote:

Dear Nathalie,

Kind regards,

Guillaume

I too find it strange that you check licenses before answering a simple question. It's not pirated, it's registered under my husbands name!

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
Public forum Oct 13, 2016

SDL_Guillaume wrote:

Dear Nathalie,

Kind regards,

Guillaume

This is a public forum; it does not belong to SDL. It does not seem right for you to ask for license numbers to answer questions here. If you need to ask for license numbers before replying IMO you should ask the poster privately, through the messaging system, or refrain from posting. Answers posted here should really be for everyone's benefit, even readers who do not have license numbers.

France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Argh!! Oct 13, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Did you untick "Replace "straight quotes" with smart quotes" under File > Options > Editor > Autocorrect (for your target language)?

No, I didn't... I've spent more time than I care to admit searching through all the options and I must've missed that one.

I'll blame it on the stress, endless emails, tight deadlines, crazy dog, loud kids and overly cautious SDL community people this time!

Many thanks!

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Checking licenses and more Oct 13, 2016

SDL reps who answer questions on proz.com about SDL software have been doing this (asking for license) for a while, and in my opinion it is misuse of this forum that needs to stop. It suggests an authority that they do not have here.

In addition, they are vigourously trying to move questions that we have about SDL software and bring up here among colleagues and peers, to their own platform, at which they are not successful. That might violate the forum rules as well.

In the meantime it is really difficult to get support from them directly for software that was purchased. I suggest that they make some serious improvements in that department.

I really like SDL Studio, but these things need to change imho.

[Edited at 2016-10-13 17:10 GMT]

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
You're welcome :) Oct 13, 2016

Nathalie Warner wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

No, I didn't... I've spent more time than I care to admit searching through all the options and I must've missed that one.

I'll blame it on the stress, endless emails, tight deadlines, crazy dog, loud kids and overly cautious SDL community people this time!

Many thanks!

Glad I could help, even without checking your license

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 09:38
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Options Oct 14, 2016

Yes, it is under File > Options > Editor > AutoCorrect as Mirko mentioned.

But it seems that SDL Support does not know about the options, let me name some of them: CafeTran, Déjà Vu X, memoQ, MetaTexis, Wordfast (in alphabetical order).

SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Arabic
Checking Licenses Oct 14, 2016

Hi Everyone,

I would just like to take this opportunity to apologise to any one that feels offended.
As we continue to build our customer support and the available free resources, we strive to be proactive and offer our help as much as possible.
To do so (and if we are unable to find a valid license for you), then we will ask for the order number to verify both the validity and version of Studio. I will however ask our team to specifically request the order number via PM in the future to allay any fears.

Our goal is to provide the very best in both customer experience and support and to continue building on these resources in a single centralised platform, rather than spread the resources thinly through various other SM's (FB/Twitter/Proz/Yahoo etc.) which often leads to posts being completely missed (even by the wider translator community) or left unanswered for extended periods of time.

We therefore decided to pool together our resources and provide one easily accessible, central (free) and structured platform-
The SDL Community http://xl8.one

The SDL Community is so structured that you can post questions to the relevant SDL topics, or look to see if this has been raised before,
interact with SDL (and external) developers, (many new features in Studio are because translators have requested them) and the wider translator community, join available beta groups and much much more.
If you wish, you can subscribe and follow specific topics that interest you, and with fast approaching 9000 members around the world, im sure any suggestions or questions you have will be responded to very quickly by either an industry or SDL professional.

SDL Community

Solutions

Furthermore we have also updated and revamped the old KB/Solution finder to a much more user friendly SDL Gateway
https://gateway.sdl.com/CommunitySearchResults

Gateway

Kr

SDL_Steve

Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:38
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Not willing to change platforms Oct 14, 2016

Hello Steve,
You, too, must understand that many of us are not willing to change platforms. We already follow too much of them, and learning the interface of a new one, perhaps not too many people like the idea.

Besides that, when posting a question on Proz, we already know that we are sending questions to colleagues. Someone with more advanced knowledge and more experience will usually help. This is what happened to me, by the way. No one from SDL has answered my questions so far, only colleagues helped.

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:38
English to Spanish
... Oct 14, 2016

SDL_Steve wrote:

Checking Licenses

Hi Everyone,

I would just like to take this opportunity to apologise to any one that feels offended.
As we continue to build our customer support and the available free resources, we strive to be proactive and offer our help as much as possible.
To do so (and if we are unable to find a valid license for you), then we will ask for the order number to verify both the validity and version of Studio. I will however ask our team to specifically request the order number via PM in the future to allay any fears.

Our goal is to provide the very best in both customer experience and support and to continue building on these resources in a single centralised platform, rather than spread the resources thinly through various other SM's (FB/Twitter/Proz/Yahoo etc.) which often leads to posts being completely missed (even by the wider translator community) or left unanswered for extended periods of time.

We therefore decided to pool together our resources and provide one easily accessible, central (free) and structured platform-
The SDL Community http://xl8.one

The SDL Community is so structured that you can post questions to the relevant SDL topics, or look to see if this has been raised before,
interact with SDL (and external) developers, (many new features in Studio are because translators have requested them) and the wider translator community, join available beta groups and much much more.
If you wish, you can subscribe and follow specific topics that interest you, and with fast approaching 9000 members around the world, im sure any suggestions or questions you have will be responded to very quickly by either an industry or SDL professional.

Furthermore we have also updated and revamped the old KB/Solution finder to a much more user friendly SDL Gateway
https://gateway.sdl.com/CommunitySearchResults

Kr

SDL_Steve

In your extensive answer (7 paragraphs, 300 words, 3 pictures) I did not find an answer as to why you need to check a user's licence before answering a simple question.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I want straight apostrophes!

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search