I found the solution - IDML file won´t open in Trados Studio 2014 or 2015
Thread poster: Eija Teppo
Eija Teppo
Eija Teppo
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
Oct 17, 2016

I did all these

https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/6567
... See more
I did all these

https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/6567

and this

https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/2828

and this

------------------------------------
I found the solution from here

https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/2828

Close Adobe InDesign on your computer.
Browse to your IDML document.
Highlight the document with one mouse click then press [F2].
Rename the file type extension *.idml to *.zip and press Enter.
Extract the renamed document with either WinZip or WinRar to a folder.
Open your text editor and click on File > Open.
Browse to the extracted folder and open the file designmap.xml in your text editor.
Search for find the field that looks like this: product="10.0 (70)"
Change the line to product = "9.2(70)". This is the highest version that Studio 2014 can recognize at the moment.
Save the changes and close the editor again.
Re-zip all the files and folders.
Change the file extension back from *.zip to *.idml.
Now open the file in Studio 2014.

[Edited at 2016-10-17 22:11 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thirteen steps? Oct 18, 2016

I use SDL Trados Studio 2014 strictly for team projects. To date, I've only used this tool for old InDesign (IDML) projects that a client has already processed for Trados only.

I prefer to do the following:

1) For translating IDML documents, I open the IDML in InDesign CS5, CS6 or CC and make sure I have all the fonts and links (graphics).
2) Then I import the IDML file into Déjà Vu X3 (which is compatible with IDML from any version of InDesign) and translate as
... See more
I use SDL Trados Studio 2014 strictly for team projects. To date, I've only used this tool for old InDesign (IDML) projects that a client has already processed for Trados only.

I prefer to do the following:

1) For translating IDML documents, I open the IDML in InDesign CS5, CS6 or CC and make sure I have all the fonts and links (graphics).
2) Then I import the IDML file into Déjà Vu X3 (which is compatible with IDML from any version of InDesign) and translate as if it were any other text-based document.
3) Remember that IDML is, by definition, an exchange format, interchangeable with older or newer InDesign versions.

I always ask the client to send me a PDF file first. That way, at least I have an idea of what's in the document.

Cheers from (currently) Portugal
Collapse

Eija Teppo
Eija Teppo
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Yes for old inDesign files this works Oct 19, 2016

Since the client was already out of office and I do not work with InDesign, there was no possibility to save the NEW format InDesign file into the older format - which would work as you describe. For the new ones these steps are necessary until SDL comes up with the updated plugin. Cheers to you too!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I found the solution - IDML file won´t open in Trados Studio 2014 or 2015

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »